Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Which digital Olympus? and Rollei QBM on 4/3?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Which digital Olympus? and Rollei QBM on 4/3? Reply with quote

Question-1:
Quote:
universal adapter "any lens" to olympus 4/3:

Do we have a Rolleiflex QBM adapter for 4/3 systems as I have very nice Rollei lenses ?

Question-2:
I've 400D/xti and will buy a FF (probably 5D) in the future but at the moment I want to be able use also Minolta MD's and Canon FD's and want to try the 2X crop so I'm planning to buy aa oly 4/3 body this month or the next but I couldn't decided exactly what to buy, so need help at this point. For noise part. I think all other brands use hevy NR (except K20D) so some sacrifices are being made in the body, as we have the NR option with software I'll still shoot at ISO800/1600 in concerts (will have a 100/1.4, 270/2.8, 140-400/3.5-4 with small cost)

Oly E-330 is my current choice, cost: 275 USD
--> because as all oly E-XXX series have a small optical viewfinder, live-view and tilting LCD is the main decision maker positives. I shoot macro and portraits mainly so MF in mode-B with zooming capacity is very nice. And tilting LCD? This will really helps when shooting concerts!

The other options are like this:
Oly E-510, cost: 350 USD --> no Live-view but IS
Oly E-410, cost: 325 USD --> no IS ut Live-view, no tilting LCD
Oly E-1 , cost: 350-400 USD --> old, no IS, no LiveView, small LCD but BIG optical viewfinder and solid like a rock!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see till this time rollei adapter for 4/3 VGR's universal adapter not support infinity.

I have E-300, E-1 and I had E-500 (half day only because I returned immediately to shop. Back LCD was crap to me)

With all Olympus include E-300 you can use excellent AF confirmed adapters
except E-1 Sad

E-1 has better image quality than E-300.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For +75$ adding also the IS seems more logical at the moment. I have a Canon A95 and the movable LCD is a really nice feature so I'm between 510 and the 330.

If I can manage to use Rollei QBM's then I can even think of selling my 400D Smile

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/e510-rev.html
Check this out for olympus DSLR info, it's very detailed!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know 400D is an excellent camera and it has less crop factor than Oly have. I don't know good idea to sell it or not. I also don't have experience with IS. I love my E-1 for sure and E-300 also a fine camera to me. If I have chance I would buy a Canon also, for example for Rollei mount capability.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Canon 40D is an outstanding camera and due to the new models being released, it is now available new for around 800 Euros body only.
It has a large viewfinder and exchangeable focusing screen (important for manual lenses).
For anyone who has to buy within a non large budget, this is my recommended suggestion.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed
The 40D is the most logical and best value for high performance and Manual lens compatibility.
The sensor has dust reduction and the digic III is a true upgrade to the digic II
In my night shoots I much prefer the 40D for it's perfect control of noise.
Perfect even in exposures to 15min. The 5D is much noisier although a fine performer in normal lighting situations (up to 5 min exposres it's perfect)
You should really consider the future of your lens use and style first.
If you will shoot mostly Portaits and Macro maybe Oly is a nice option with some excellent models
If however you plan to do street shoots, landscapes and wide perspective shots.
The Oly is going to push you into AF lenses.
Consider the Flek 4/20 for example. On a 4/3's it is a reportage/normal cropped view.
This improves to a moderate wide view on the Canon (or pentax for that matter)
Also Your investment of Rollei QBM lenses is safe with Canon.
Adapters are there just don't be cheap when purchasing. It is the lens mount with the least tolerance for adapting regarding infinity focus.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, you got me here Smile
E-510 was the cheap solution and upgrading to 40D is also a nice option Smile
Selling my 400D can't be easy as it has 18K auctuations (drawback of shooting concerts) and the eyecup holder plastic part is broken (a man dropped on me when using angle finder viewer!). But I guess I can sell it with BG-E3 for something 500-600USD here (it has a lot of accesories) and buy a 40D from US without customs and shipping cost with adding 300$. I can even add some of my unused lenses and increase the price. Hmm, this sounds more logical Smile
Thanks for the help Wink

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I'm selling my 400D and all of it's related accesories, the next step is Canon 40D. I guess this was the most logical way as you reminded me Smile