Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Was "Selecting a Fisheye" Now "an ultra-wide&
View previous topic :: View next topic  

16mm Fisheye
Leica Elmarit-R 16/2.8
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Nikon Nikkor 16/3.5
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Contax 16/2.8 F-Distagon
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Carl Zeiss 16/2.8 HFT F-Distagon (fisheye)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Canon EF 15/2.8 (please ignore the AF)
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Zenitar 16/2.8
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Pentax Takumar 17/3.5 (I forgot this one)
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 8

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Was "Selecting a Fisheye" Now "an ultra-wide& Reply with quote

*** To be used with Canon 5D which means no crop factor.
If I want buy a fish eye, what should I choose from the below list and why?
- Leica Elmarit-R 16/2.8
- Nikon Nikkor 16/3.5
- Canon EF 15/2.8 (please ignore the AF)
- Contax 16/2.8 F-Distagon
- Carl Zeiss 16/2.8 HFT F-Distagon (fisheye)

And what is the status of "Zenitar 16/2.8" against these?

Let's say I've a budget like 600USD to spend on a fish eye and thinking of using it with DxO software to eliminate the distortion or should I choose a ultra-wide with a similar cost or a "Canon 17-40 L" maybe?

I'll make a monthly lens budget from my sellery to complete my list with 16mm, 35mm, 300mm and 500mm.

Last edited by yalcinaydin on Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:50 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard nothing but good words about Tokina at-x 116 pro dx ( 11-16mm f2.8 ). It will cost you around 600$ new on ebay.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends, if you can live with strong dissortion and/or you will loose some % with DxO, then a fisheye is ok.

Can't say anything about the other lenses, but I like the Canon 2.8 15mm Fish. Sharpness is good, low CA and neutral colors.

Ok its AF but since its nearly 20 years old, I feel comfortable with it. Rolling Eyes

Can't tell about the corners, because I use it only on my 40D.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that this is folly. Software correction is "correction" never perfect.
Find a good rectilinear 20mm and take a pass on software correction of fisheye lenses.
Flek 4/20 for half your budget around $250-$300
Flek 2.8/20 for $300-$400
Zuiko 3.5/21 for $400-500 sometimes much less worth every penny of $500
Contax Zeiss 4/18 $500-800 I bought a perfect late MM version from Adorama for $450.
Some copy variation in these (corners and S -shaped distortion).
This lens can be remarkable or so-so be prepared to sell and take another one to get it right.

Or cheaper with Tokina 3.5/17 for about $100 pretty good by 5.6-8 Marketed by Vivitar name also
Tamron SP 17 for $150-200 better than Tokina

Or the film route with a Leica thread mount RF and CV 4.5/15 $360 for lens
Body your choice of $20 - $many thousand.

I hope this helps you decide. Fisheye is fun for fisheye shots. It is not fun to correct although,
some have had success and surely they will post behind my statements shortly.

Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback.
Tokina is a very good lens but isn't it a APS-C lens?
I also asked myself 16mm fisheye or a bit less wide normal lens. Flek 20/2.8 look the most logical solution at the moment.
I've seen an Exakta mount Flek 20/4 for something like 150USD, is it as good as the later versions?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken Rockwell describes the use of the Tokina on a Nikon D3.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sichko wrote:
Ken Rockwell describes the use of the Tokina on a Nikon D3.

Yes, I remembered that I have red it, thanks for reminding, let me check it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DxO with fisheyes: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/dxo/optics-pro.htm

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder why you did not consider the really excellent Olympus 2.8/8mm fisheye - or do you only want 16mm full frame?

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/olympusom1n2/shared/zuiko/htmls/fish8mm.htm

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
I wonder why you did not consider the really excellent Olympus 2.8/8mm fisheye - or do you only want 16mm full frame?

Indeed I want an ultra-wide angle lans to shoot city and nature, I don't want a real fisheye. I can find a Rollei 16/2.8 for 600-700USD or buy a Contax 18/4 for a bit more. How does Canon EF 17-40L performs? Is there anybody tried this one? For distortion I can again use DxO.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

18mm Olympus OM is your lens if you find it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
18mm Olympus OM is your lens if you find it.

Attila,

what would be a current acceptable street price for a used one in good condition?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still a little confused. Are you looking for a fisheye, because of the effect, for a fisheye with a correction software or for a ultra-wide angle (rectalinear)?

If you're only after the effect, go for the Zenitar 2.8/16 - cheap and still excellent.

If you are looking for an ultra-wide lens, I'd like to second the CZJ 4/20 suggestions. And save the rest of your budget for another lens you might want to have.

The fantastic 18mm and 21mm Zuikos will perhaps be beyond your budget, but chances are good that you can find a mint copy for your money.

The great thing about these Zuikos is - after what I have seen - that they perfectly deliver on a full frame cam!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
I am still a little confused. Are you looking for a fisheye, because of the effect, for a fisheye with a correction software or for a ultra-wide angle (rectalinear)? ...

Sorry for the confusion, I should have oppened the topic like "I want an as wide as possible lens for around 600USD".

I don't want the fish eye effect, I just need an ultra wide lens as I've 28mm at the moment which is 'just' wide.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the Zuiko 3.5/21

You can have one of mine for $400.
I think he has one available.
It's the perfect lens for your needs.
I never tried the 18mm.
Attila has both and prefers the 21.
I think that his opinion and experience counts foe quite a bit . don't you?
The Z 21 is higher rated even than the Contax 18.
Having used both I have to say they are just different.
The contax is zeissy. The zuiko a bit better controlled overall and smaller.
In use I prefer the zuiko. The small size and front ring aperture control make for a nice user.
I'm happy for you that you give up on the fisheye idea and software fix.

BTW
You can also check with Orio for a flek 4/20.
It is very good with distortion as well and the colors are really nice.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the Pentax 15mm rectilinear (>110 degrees FOV)?
Would also fit Eos....and about the budget.

Last edited by kds315* on Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Take the Zuiko 3.5/21

Smile
I'll buy a 5D next month so I can't afford a 600USD lens at the moment. For now I'm just looking for what to buy as a ultra wide and how much do I need for one.

My problem now is I can't resist buying a Leica-R Elmarit 35/2.8 (the last gap in 28-200mm focal length range), I guess resistance is futile Very Happy Then there will come an ultra-wide and a long tele(not a priority for me).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Take the Zuiko 3.5/21

You can have one of mine for $400.
It's the perfect lens for your needs.
I never tried the 18mm.
Attila has both and prefers the 21.
I think that his opinion and experience counts foe quite a bit . don't you?
The Z 21 is higher rated even than the Contax 18.
Having used both I have to say they are just different.
The contax is zeissy. The zuiko a bit better controlled overall and smaller.
In use I prefer the zuiko. The small size and front ring aperture control make for a nice user.
I'm happy for you that you give up on the fisheye idea and software fix.

BTW
You can also check with Orio for a flek 4/20.
It is very good with distortion as well and the colors are really nice.

I agree with Andy 21mm Zuiko one of the best lens on market and 400 USD a very friendly price for this quality lens. I rate above 18mm that for sure.. and zuiko 18mm higher rated lens than 18mm Distagon!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, that's a plan...

- Buy Andy's Zuiko 3.5/21 now. I don't think that you will find this lens for such a price again.
- Get the Leica Elmarit-R 2.8/35 later (and you know how much I like this lens), it's a very common lens and you will find it for a good price frequently.

What do you think?

P.S.: If I had $400,- left at the moment, I would buy Andy's lens immediately!!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't get the Leicas* which is good and bad at the same time Very Happy
I've bid on a Contax Distagon 18/4 with US $190.00 just to watch it closely, let us see the closing price of it.
Now it seems like Zuiko or Flektagon will be the choice.

* Elmarit-R 35/2.8: I gave 150USD but ended with 183USD
Elmarit-R 135/2.8: I again gave 150USD but ended with 153USD (that was close Smile). I've a slightly better lens, Rolleinar 135/2.8 but I just one to own a Leica Embarassed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
OK, that's a plan...

- Buy Andy's Zuiko 3.5/21 now. I don't think that you will find this lens for such a price again.
- Get the Leica Elmarit-R 2.8/35 later (and you know how much I like this lens), it's a very common lens and you will find it for a good price frequently.

What do you think?

P.S.: If I had $400,- left at the moment, I would buy Andy's lens immediately!!!

Just 300USD left on my paypal account for this month and I've decided the priority is the SLR as I can't do anything without a body Very Happy so let's first I get the 5D* then think more clearly (I've 800USD at the moment and I will another 800USD to it). I think this is the best plan now Smile
It looks like I can buy an ultra-wide lens like November or December Sad

*I don't know if anybody wants to sell their 5D to just 1600USD but I'll buy a used one from fredmiranda next month (body only prices are between 1450-1750USD) or just new for 1820USD (import but slight choice). Money transfer will be bank-wire and shipping will be made to US address (Spokane/Washington). I'll open a topic in marketplace as I have the money Smile

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's somewhat of a catch 22, lens first or body first. My advise is to hold on about getting the lens for now (caveat: if you can get Andy to keep his Z21 for you - rarely available; the 4/20 Flex/ Leicas are common sight on ebay.). Go for the FF body.

Currently I have a good set of wides - Zuiko 21/2, 24/2.8 and 28/3.5, other 28s by Yashica ML/ Tak plus many 35s Tak, Flek, Yashinon, etc. BUT I can't appreciate them as they should be appreciated with a crop cam Sad That's why I have been trying to sell some lens. bodies and save up for a FF body.

When I need to go wide, I am forced to use my EF-S10-22, while not a bad lens, I still prefer to go MF Smile

Did I just add to your headache...sorry, it wasn't intended.

Good Luck.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go wide is very easy use film and below+crop dslr what poilu did.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bawang wrote:
It's somewhat of a catch 22, lens first or body first. My advise is to hold on about getting the lens for now (caveat: if you can get Andy to keep his Z21 for you - rarely available; the 4/20 Flex/ Leicas are common sight on ebay.). Go for the FF body.

Currently I have a good set of wides - Zuiko 21/2, 24/2.8 and 28/3.5, other 28s by Yashica ML/ Tak plus many 35s Tak, Flek, Yashinon, etc. BUT I can't appreciate them as they should be appreciated with a crop cam Sad That's why I have been trying to sell some lens. bodies and save up for a FF body.

When I need to go wide, I am forced to use my EF-S10-22, while not a bad lens, I still prefer to go MF Smile

Did I just add to your headache...sorry, it wasn't intended.

Good Luck.

Headache? No no, definitely not, for me FF body (for me a even "a" body) comes first at the moment as I haven't any and I've found a 5D with 2.5K, like mint for 1560US, really sweet offer and not overseas just from Turkey so I'm lucky this time. And what a coincidence the guy is the one that I've sold my Canon A1 9 months ago Smile
I'm begging for loan from my friends at the moment Razz But I'm lucky about friends, have very good ones so it won't be a problem, I'll hold my 5D at the end of the week Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered the Sigma 14mm f3.5?...I bought an FD mount one and converted it to M42 mount.