Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

viewing 120 slides
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: viewing 120 slides Reply with quote

i am not so happy digitizing my 120 slides and am wondering if members have some recommendations on slide viewers and/or projectors. i do not want a light table...
thanks
tony

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw 6x6 projectors a few I don't know others.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gepe still produce their G5003 multi-format sliding slide viewer. Paterson of UK used to have a 6x6 viewer as well.

When it comes to projectors, I can only think of a secondhand Kiev 66 offering good value for money.
Rolleivision 66 or Rollei P66 series, as well as Hasselblad PCP 80, are also available (new or seconhand) but these would rather cost a fortune.
Kindermann Diafocus 66T is a more affordable option (@~$1000 new).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enlarger that can be turned sideways are usually very cheap if you can just fiddle with the film without frames.

EDIT: correction, enlarger prices are just ridiculous now, don't know why
I paid 30€ for this one two years ago Click here to see on Ebay and it is not even the cheapest ..

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enlarger turned sideways sounds like good idea. Very Happy

I look for 6x7 slide projector. Anybody know how about slide projector ca project 6x6, 6x7, and/or 6x9?

Edit: never mind. I can google too Laughing I see rbelyell wants viewer while I mistakenly hijack thread asking about projectors.

Last edited by visualopsins on Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, i will look into the geppe.

any more replies would be appreciated.

what do members think of these 2:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290325002499&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_2011wt_849

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130415426160&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_3406wt_1074

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're both interesting looking pieces, and seem to be priced about right. I like the first for its potential portability and the second for its features.

Just curious -- what is it about your scans that you're unhappy with? I've had real good luck scanning 120 negs and slides with my scanners.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks michael for your reply--i like the sharper image one better but i cant find out if it takes 120 or just 35mm. the seller hasnt responded....

as for scans, well, its probably my fault, but i dont have my own scanner (i mistakenly bought a v300 which does not scan medium format) and when i compare how the slides look on a lighttable to how they came back to me and then look digitized, it just pales in comparison. it's so noticeable a difference, even my wife--who cares nothing for photography--commented on the difference.

i am waiting to complete another roll of film before i send several rolls to dwayne's to see if his scans are better; we shall see....
tony

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two Epson flat bed scanners that will scan 120. One's an old 3170 I bought new about six years ago, and the other's a 4990 I bought used several months ago. With 120 because if its format size, I just scan at 2400 ppi, and I find that either of my scanners do about the same, which is actually quite good. You can probably pick up a used 3170 or 3200 for $50 or less. Epson has a good deal right now on refurbished 4490s. Haven't we had this conversation before? Smile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iron all strip with books for a few hrs even if looks flat, and result will be better a lot. Scan in tiff or bmp not to jpg directly , 2400 dpi is fine. Tiff or bmp highly processable unlike jpg.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys! yes michael we have had this conversation--i guess what i neglected to say is that i feel stupid having just bought the v300 and i am not going to buy another scanner until i decide to and actually do sell the v300. i cant justify having 2 photo scanners in the house...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sell the V300. Live and learn, chalk it up to experience, and all that.