Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

V/S-Heidosmat 2.4/90 MC, another wow! projection lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:19 am    Post subject: V/S-Heidosmat 2.4/90 MC, another wow! projection lens Reply with quote

V/S-Heidosmat 2.4/90 MC must belong to the upper segment of 35mm slide projector lenses. Put in a metal barrel, having a nice multi-coating, it excels in IQ both on a bare APS-C and with a lens booster. The beauty ring says "Made in Germany", and I wonder if it is a Rollei-made one or for example an ISCO rebadged to a Rollei lens name.

In this thread 16:9 supposes it is a 4-element lens. To my eye, the rendering drives it to be rather a 5-element one. Anyway, it is a really great performer with a mild rendering, neat but not too sharp and giving a gracious smoothness to object surfaces. looks like a lens on par with ISCO V/S-Projar MC 2.5/90 (very similar rendering) and Agfa Color-Agolon 2.5/90.

#1 With a lens booster

#2 With a lens booster

#3 Without a lens booster

#4 A 100% crop from the previous, unprocessed, CA visible similar to Isco V/S-Projar

#5 With a lens booster, a 100% crop from a shot

#6 With a lens booster, a not too contrasty, smooth rendering of concrete and pebbles surfaces

#7 With a lens booster, contrast pushed further

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good! I wanted that lens but accidentally got the V/S-Projar instead. If they are the same it was a good mistake.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Physically, these lenses look very similar, but not identical.

Heidosmat has a magenta tint MC while Projar's one is amber tinted. Heidosmat has a little bold opening of the barrel on the top (neglectable) and is slightly taller. Although all of this must relate to brand variations, as they have the same flange distance and very similar rendering. I'll post a couple of pictures from both on the next step.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a test shot comparison in both lenses. As the sun is harsh, and the lenses do not have aperture, I had to use a simple autocontrast in order to compensate the overexposure. If you take into account variations brought to the image by automatic WB and exposure camera settings in A mode, the rendering is really close if not the same.

#1 Projar

#2 Heidosmat

#3 Projar, cropped

#4 Heidosmat, cropped

#5 Projar, while the Heidosmat's image for reference is seen in the first post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite similar. I wonder if there is more field curvature on the Projar.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Klaus! I am not sure, blotafton, but I may try to check it.

Meanwhile I took the Heidosmat for a walk, put on Sony Nex with a lens booster. Here are some shots from the urban large.

#4 Sooc jpeg resized

#6 Sooc jpeg resized

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
Thank you, Klaus! I am not sure, blotafton, but I may try to check it.

Wow - all of those shots are excellent! I'm quite surprised how well the lens handles those lighting conditions, compared to some of the earlier shots where the CAs are quite visible. Great work! 👍

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your kind words!

Does not the optic's behaviour assimilate with such lenses as Rollei Planar? The latter has also strong CAs in contarst light, while its MC alows a good flare resistance in most part of light conditions.

Some SOOC shots show how the Heidosmat mixes purple fringing with good flare resistance.

#2 A 100% crop from the previous

#4 A 100% crop from the previous