Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

UWA lens recommedations for Nikon
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: UWA lens recommedations for Nikon Reply with quote

I'm thinking of an UWA lens in Nikon Ai/Ais/AF mount.

I usually travel with my 17-50/2.8 AF Tamron, which is a decent lens, but I use it a lot at close to 17mm. Therefore I guess it's a good idea to get a fixed lens/small zoom at around 17mm ( I have 8mm and 24mm ) and travel lighter.

The obvious recommendations ( on a budget, of course ) would be:
Tokina 17/3.5 SL
Vivitar 17/3.5
Tamron?
Zenitar 16/2.8?

There also some 19-35 zooms, both MF and AF, like Tokina, Tamron, Voigtlander, Cosina that come in Nikon mount.

I would appreciate any comments that could help with my search.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the rmc tokina 17mm/3.5 for a while. Its sharp and contrasty, but has a slight
amount of barrel distortion. I liked it better than the tamron 17/3.5. I sold it when I
found my SMC Pentax 18mm/3.5 which was superior to both. That wont fit Nikon however.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Zenitar is a fisheye - I hope you know Wink

Is the Samyang(/Vivitar/Rokinon/...) 14/2.8 in your budget? Except a some correctable distortion it's a very good lens.
There should be some sample here in the forum.

If the Samyang is out-of-budget I would recommend the Tokina 17/3.5 - it's a good start.