Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

UV Nikkor 105mm does Bidens in VIS-UV
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: UV Nikkor 105mm does Bidens in VIS-UV Reply with quote

Amazing that dark "bullseye" UV-pattern bees and butterflies can see as a landing platform, but we humans cannot...

Shot using a UV-Nikkor 105mm at f11 on a full-specrum modified Panansonic GH4 using a modified studio flash.

There have been scientific experiments done (Prof. em. Klaus Lunau, Düsseldorf, Germany) which prove that bees

land on a flower petal and then always crawl to find the UV-dark part to find nectar and pollen (they artifically reversed

the petals and the bees then crawled to the outside and not to the center anymore)!

Last edited by kds315* on Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: UV NIkkor 105mm does Bidens in VIS-UV Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Amazing that dark "bullseye" UV-pattern bees and butterflies can see as a landing platform, but we humans cannot...

There have been scientific experiments done (Prof. em. Klaus Lunau, Düsseldorf, Germany) which prove that bees
land on a flower petal and then always crawl to find the UV-dark part to find nectar and pollen (they artifically reversed
the petals and the bees then crawled to the outside and not to the center anymore)!

Thanks for sharing this information! Having studied chemistry and then worked in the field of mass spectrometry and ion traps I'm not so familiar with biology Wink - but from a chemical standpoint I always wonder how a few very simple (??) atoms transform themselves into whatever we are seeing and experiencing. Truely a world of wonders!!

S

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Oooooh, I like the new presentation Dr. !

@S, wonder no more after study of the visual opsins! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opsin (and http://visualopsins.weebly.com/about.html )

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

@S, wonder no more after study of the visual opsins!

Quite the contrary !! - I wonder even much more.

Nothing in the physical structure of the C atom (or the N or the H atom) suggests how on earth from those simple electron / proton / neutron "clouds" such magnificent and meaningful structures, objects and functions spontaneously can (and will) arise.

I (and probability calculations!) would expect chaos, not beauty and order Wink

S

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

@S, wonder no more after study of the visual opsins!

Quite the contrary !! - I wonder even much more.

Nothing in the physical structure of the C atom (or the N or the H atom) suggests how on earth from those simple electron / proton / neutron "clouds" such magnificent and meaningful structures, objects and functions spontaneously can (and will) arise.

I (and probability calculations!) would expect chaos, not beauty and order Wink

S

Spin & twist "vibration"...but yes indeed most remains mysterious.
Quote:
Rhodopsin (Rh) and bathorhodopsin (bathoRh) quantum-mechanics/molecular-mechanics models based on ab initio multiconfigurational wave functions are employed to look at the light induced pi-bond breaking and reconstitution occurring during the Rh -> bathoRh and bathoRh -> Rh isomerizations. More specifically, semiclassical trajectory computations are used to compare the excited (S1) and ground (S0) state dynamics characterizing the opposite steps of the Rh/bathoRh photochromic cycle during the first 200 fs following photoexcitation. We show that the information contained in these data provide an unprecedented insight into the sub-picosecond pi-bond reconstitution process which is at the basis of the reactivity of the protein embedded 11-cis and all-trans retinal chromophores. More specifically, the data point to the phase and amplitude of the skeletal bond length alternation stretching mode as the key factor switching the chromophore to a bonding state. It is also confirmed/found that the phase and amplitude of the hydrogen-out-of-plane mode controls the stereochemical outcome of the forward and reverse photoisomerizations.
https://scholarworks.bgsu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1164&context=chem_pub

Apologies to Dr. Schmitt for diversion from topic.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: UV NIkkor 105mm does Bidens in VIS-UV Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:

I can remember shooting flowers (including Bidens) with auto white balance and ending up with completely messed up colors. I concluded there was light reflecting off the petals at wavelengths imperceptible to the human eye, but detectable by the camera, which caused the camera to adjust white balance incorrectly. Manually adjusting white balance fixed the problem.

It's worth remembering that your camera can "see" wavelengths of light beyond what your eye can perceive.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, glad you like it!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Klaus Like 1 small

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting. Like 1