Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Unusual Cooke lens - Microscope?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:16 am    Post subject: Unusual Cooke lens - Microscope? Reply with quote

Hi folks

I bought an unusual lens that I suspect may be for a microscope, the only markings on it are:

Cooke 40949 D.G.

It has a thread mount approximately twice the diameter of a normal RMS microscope thread mount and is very squat, only a third as tall as it is wide.

Looking into the lens from the front all I can see is black, looking into it from the rear, it has a silvered surface like a blob of mercury and just reflects my own face back at me.

Anyone ever seen anything like this before? Google finds nothing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no knowledge about this subject matter, I suspect however that the people that do will ask for a picture of the lens in question. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does light pass through it?

Also yes a picture would be interesting.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No light passes through the centre but there is a thin transparent region around the edges of the silvery reflective spot.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be a Schwarzschild objective.

http://spie.org/x34462.xml

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is far more likely to be a dark field lens.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly not a Schwarzschild reflective objective, as it is way too small - Cooke reflective objectives look like that:

I agree with sevo that it might be a Darkfield objective, as the center rays are blocked out.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it seems to me that the D.G. on the lens stands for 'Dark Ground' so it will indeed by a darkfield lens.

I wonder what magnification it is and if it will be of any use for macro work?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works only for transmitted light using a special condensor system.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah well, it was one of a job lot of Cooke microscope lenses I bought very cheap, the others will prove useful.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But what does a dark field or "dark ground" lens actually do/what is its purpose? Going by the description given by the OP, I assumed it was used in a telescope to block out the suns disc so that the suns corona could be observed safely by eye but that cant be right can it? Question

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSG wrote:
But what does a dark field or "dark ground" lens actually do/what is its purpose? Going by the description given by the OP, I assumed it was used in a telescope to block out the suns disc so that the suns corona could be observed safely by eye but that cant be right can it? Question
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_field_microscopy