Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Unusual combo: Minolta MD 200 f4,0 / Panagor macro converter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:22 am    Post subject: Unusual combo: Minolta MD 200 f4,0 / Panagor macro converter Reply with quote

You lose 2,7 stops and quite double the focal length.

Resulting combination is approx 400mm f22 (the MD 200 was set at f8,0).

Not much diffraction. I went crazy post processing the dust on the sensor which I thought was clean... Nothing resists f22.

Tell me your thoughts.

[img]Printemps | Spring by lumens pixel, sur Flickr[/img]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly looks sharp enough!
Could be a good set up for butterflies & other skittish insects Smile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very beatitiful image - as usual Wink

I got the same (?) converter (albeit with Canon FD mount) a few years ago for free. I quickly tried it with shorter lenses and wasn't impressed, especially compared to the combination of Minolta MD-III 2/50mm and Minolta 2x (300-S) converter which I had tried just a few days befor getting the Panagor Macro converter. Maybe I should try it again with the Canon nFD 4/200mm IF - but since I have the nFD 4/200mm Macro and the Micro Nikkor 4/200mm lenses it doesn't make much sense ...

S

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DConvert wrote:

Yes, but you need tons of light or a world record stabilisation if you do not use a tripod.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Very beatitiful image - as usual Wink

I got the same (?) converter (albeit with Canon FD mount) a few years ago for free. I quickly tried it with shorter lenses and wasn't impressed, especially compared to the combination of Minolta MD-III 2/50mm and Minolta 2x (300-S) converter which I had tried just a few days befor getting the Panagor Macro converter. Maybe I should try it again with the Canon nFD 4/200mm IF - but since I have the nFD 4/200mm Macro and the Micro Nikkor 4/200mm lenses it doesn't make much sense ...

S

Thank you for the nice words. I heard the nFD macro is wonderful. But with this setup you frame with a 400mm, not a 200.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumens pixel wrote:

Thank you for the nice words. I heard the nFD macro is wonderful. But with this setup you frame with a 400mm, not a 200.

Sure, I'm aware of that! However, when taking images of flowers, there's probably not that much difference between f=200mm and f=400mm ...

S

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With it being a "Macro" converter, your actual effective aperture may be even smaller, depending on how far the physical extension is.
A photo of the unit would be nice.
Kind of curious about your subject distance. Such a set-up may be useful, as mentioned above.
We are still six weeks away from outdoor flowers here yet. My fingers are crossed.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks sharp to me eyes.
But, I think it's too much sharpness applied in PP. It gets me dizzy when I look at it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DConvert wrote:

The panagor (=elicar) macro converter is a 4 lens converter designed (and patended) for (only) macro work.. It is not a standard 2x converter (opposite to the vivitar macro converter)

I presume it is komine made

I remember a test when used with a top lens (nikkor 50/1.4) it gave same level as a top macro lens (micro-nikkor 55/3.5)
the only/main drawback beeing the 2.75 loss in light transmission (1.4~=3.5// 3.5~=Cool

if someone interested : i sell mine in om mount
[img][/img]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PBFACTS wrote:

The panagor (=elicar) macro converter is a 4 lens converter designed (and patended) for (only) macro work.. It is not a standard 2x converter (opposite to the vivitar macro converter)

Quite an unusual beast then. All the macro teleconverters I've had (3 or 4 of them including both 2x & 3x variants) allow focus to infinity as well as reaching life size with a 50mm lens fitted.
I take it the adjustment ring on the panagor goes from life size to a somewhat higher magnification Smile

None are remotely 'standard teleconverters'.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DConvert wrote:
PBFACTS wrote:

Quite an unusual beast then. All the macro teleconverters I've had (3 or 4 of them including both 2x & 3x variants) allow focus to infinity as well as reaching life size with a 50mm lens fitted.
I take it the adjustment ring on the panagor goes from life size to a somewhat higher magnification Smile

None are remotely 'standard teleconverters'.

I guess this isn't a tele converter as such?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Panagor converter is internal focus, to be honest my guess is the whole block just moves back and forth.

I can't remember what the Vivitar does, whether it's whole block focus or only moves a bit of it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well found one for 10 euro on Dutch Marktplaats and it's coming my way. I can compare it to the Vivitar.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggplant wrote:
That Panagor converter is internal focus, to be honest my guess is the whole block just moves back and forth.

I can't remember what the Vivitar does, whether it's whole block focus or only moves a bit of it.

As far as I can see the block in the Vivitar is fixed. It stays put. The helicoid moves out the attached lens.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
eggplant wrote:

As far as I can see the block in the Vivitar is fixed. It stays put. The helicoid moves out the attached lens.
exact

Here a test of the panagor macro converter which confirms the high final IQ.

https://www-flautenbag-nl.translate.goog/reviews/review-panagor-macro-converter/?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=fr&_x_tr_pto=wapp

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for not posting the setup but I am away from home. Thank you for posting the image of the converter and yes this is the one.

An advantage of the solution is that thrown in your bag with your usual lenses it provides for multiple macro lenses. It even works on a good zoom.