Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Unsharp Mask. Do you use it?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
The amount of sharpening required varies with the final destination of the image, so it's impossible to give an "how much".
Agree, but the destination is only one of the 3 variables that had to be taken into account. I do believe that sharpening is a function of:
    1. original source of the image
    2. content of the image and
    3. what Orio said, destionation of that image.

Vary one of this factor and the sharpen need to be altered (sometimes even the whole sharpening technique) in order to get optimum result.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With my L1 I shoot only RAW and find that the images do need sharpening, but one has to be careful as Lumix uses a weak anti aliasing filter. I started using a plug in called Focus magic which seems to do a nice job if one is conservative. I also have some sharpening software from Nik but never use it.

With my LX1 and FZ30 it depends on whether it is RAW or JPEG as well as the subject. I usually selectively apply smart sharpen in a separate layer so I can use opacity to blend.

I always keep jpeg sharpness, contrast, saturation, nr to minimums, so I have room to tweak.

Jim

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shoot mostly Jpeg right now but since getting Light Room and CS3 I plan shooting more RAW. Just have hated the file sizes. As to sharpening I convert to LAB color and use the lightness channel, then Unsharp mask in the lightness channel.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:
As to sharpening I convert to LAB color and use the lightness channel, then Unsharp mask in the lightness channel.
It's the same as applying the usm on a layer blend to lightness.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

piticu wrote:
Big Dawg wrote:
As to sharpening I convert to LAB color and use the lightness channel, then Unsharp mask in the lightness channel.
It's the same as applying the usm on a layer blend to lightness.

Yep.