Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Two huge lenses from photographic printer - useful?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject: Two huge lenses from photographic printer - useful? Reply with quote

Hiya folks

Picked these up on fleabay for 99p each, definitely high quality precision optics, was hoping to be able to use them for some extreme macro work.

All I know about them is they are made by Rodenstock and Docter Optic respctively, Docter Optics being a Carl Zeiss descendant.

I'm guessing these were part of a large machine in a photo lab and were used for printing photo prints so they will probably be designed for focusing very close.

Neither has any kinf of thread on the rear and the rear elements are larger than the cannon EOS bayonet so not sure if I will be able to figure out any way to use these!

The Rodenstock one is one the left with the external focusing frame, the Docter Optics is on the right and is marked 3.3-36x zoom.

Neither lens has any aperture so I expect they are very fast and have very shallow dof.

A Super Paragon 200mm M42, Pentacon 28-70 and Pentacon 70-210 )left-right_ for scale, these are huge and very heavy pieces of glass and metal!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably this link will give you some further information:
http://savazzi.freehostia.com/photography/betavaron.htm
Not special about your lenses, but about the same type of lens I think.

These zoom enlarger lenses where a very special application - but I would not suppose that the image quality would be very high.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info Zone. I'm not sure if the Schnedier lens I have is a betavaron or not, it is rather different to that lens and doesn't have a mount affixed or any of the markings for zoom or focus, it also lacks an aperture so it might not even be related to the Betavaron.

Because I paid so little for these lenses I was prepared to end up with something useless but I still have hopes of finding a use for these somehow.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fully correct, no relations what'soever to the Schneider made Betavarons.
Sorry, I'm wrong, both are black Wink

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
fully correct, no relations what'soever to the Schneider made Betavarons.
Sorry, I'm wrong, both are black Wink

That's quite funny Klaus, and they say you Germanic types have no sense of humour! hehe

There aren't a lot of markings on these lenses, if it would help in identifying what they are and their specs I can post what there is written on them, but it isn't much.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be able to make telescopes or spotting scopes out of them. Here's a link to a site that has made telescope/spotting scope outfits from a copier lens, and the results were quite good.

http://www.dma.org/~wagner/copyscop.htm

The optic is smaller than yours lengthwise, but hey just an idea that occurred to me and I thought I'd toss it out there.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will look very impressive poking out of a camera bag. Wink