Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Twin Brothers from Different Mothers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Twin Brothers from Different Mothers Reply with quote

Just received 2 new lens. A Vivitar 200mm f/3.5 (Kiron) and a Vivitar 200mm f/3.5 (Komine). Virtually identical in design except for the difference in the color of the meter's marks. Red for the Kiron and Green for the Komine one. I put the 200mm Vivitar bright Band lens beside them for size comparison. They are quite compact as you can see but very well made and somewhat heavy. I like that myself as they all have a feeling of quality about them.

Last edited by Big Dawg on Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Twin Brothers from Different Mothers Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:
Just received 2 new lens. A Vivitar 200mm f/3.5 (Kiron) and a Vivitar 200mm f/3.5 (Komine). Virtually identical in design except for the difference in the color of the meter's marks. Red for the Kiron and Green for the Komine one.

Very strange. I would expect some differences in construction, lettering etc.
I don't own any of those lenses but I see on net that the 135mm lenses made by Kiron and Komine are quite different.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautifullll

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Twin Brothers from Different Mothers Reply with quote

dimitrygo wrote:
Big Dawg wrote:
Just received 2 new lens. A Vivitar 200mm f/3.5 (Kiron) and a Vivitar 200mm f/3.5 (Komine). Virtually identical in design except for the difference in the color of the meter's marks. Red for the Kiron and Green for the Komine one.

Very strange. I would expect some differences in construction, lettering etc.
I don't own any of those lenses but I see on net that the 135mm lenses made by Kiron and Komine are quite different.

Recently I've concentrated my collecting on the 200mm Vivitars. The 135's are next. I don't know that all the Kiron and Komine 135mm's are totally different but time and collecting will tell in the end.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FernandoB12 wrote:
Beautifullll

They are aren't they Fernando.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting. I would have expected to see more difference. I have one identical to your Komine (which I've mentioned before).

Have you had a chance yet to compare them optically? I'd be interested in the results, especially since they are almost identical in appearance, which causes me to conclude that they are most likely the same in terms of optical design.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same grip as my beloved Vivitar 135mm.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a headscratcher, Dawg. I wonder how Mr. Kino and Mr. Nittoh are going to explain that? Any thoughts on who is responsible for the bright band 200?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Have you had a chance yet to compare them optically? I'd be interested in the results, especially since they are almost identical in appearance, which causes me to conclude that they are most likely the same in terms of optical design.

Seeing as Vivitar apparently designed a lot (but not all) of their optics, it wouldn't surprise me if for some strange reason, the same exact optic and barrel was actually outsourced to the two different brands.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me it looks like someone screwed a Kiron name ring on a Komine lens.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Komine-made 200/3.5 Vivitar, and it was a fine, well balanced performer. Sharp, with beautiful rendering. I sold it for a Nikkor 200/4 Ai, a sharper lens with visibly higher contrast and color saturation.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Very interesting. I would have expected to see more difference. I have one identical to your Komine (which I've mentioned before).

I agree Michael. Probably the same lens combination. I plan on a comparison test of all my 200mm lens, these two included.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Same grip as my beloved Vivitar 135mm.

In the early 70's it was they way Viv made their focus grips. Still pretty today.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

casualcollector wrote:
That's a headscratcher, Dawg. I wonder how Mr. Kino and Mr. Nittoh are going to explain that? Any thoughts on who is responsible for the bright band 200?

Pre 70's and probably made by Kiron. I'm looking for the Chrome Nose 200mm to compare the two. They have the same type of serial numbers. The serial numbers start with the focal length.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew G. wrote:
cooltouch wrote:

Seeing as Vivitar apparently designed a lot (but not all) of their optics, it wouldn't surprise me if for some strange reason, the same exact optic and barrel was actually outsourced to the two different brands.

Makes sense to me Andrew.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:

Possible I guess but there are more of them out there so he or she was a very busy person! LOL

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
I had a Komine-made 200/3.5 Vivitar, and it was a fine, well balanced performer. Sharp, with beautiful rendering. I sold it for a Nikkor 200/4 Ai, a sharper lens with visibly higher contrast and color saturation.

Got 2 Komines and I do like the newer version. Have to do a comparison to see which is better.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:
walter g wrote:

Possible I guess but there are more of them out there so he or she was a very busy person! LOL

Just suprised me to see a Kiron look like a Komine. I guees another possibility is Vivitar contracted Komine to build X number of lenses, and for some reason they couldn't finish the order. So they had Kiron finish the order using the same build drawings.
Nice looking lenses by the way. Might have to get me one, after you test them. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:
aoleg wrote:

Got 2 Komines and I do like the newer version. Have to do a comparison to see which is better.

I tried Komine and Tokina versions of this lens. The Komine was single-coated and looked exactly as yours; the Tokina was a later RMC version. The Tokina was visibly softer, with less contrast (despite multicoatings) and mushy colors. The Tokina had smoother bokeh, but that alone wasn't quite enough. (The Nikkor is pretty rough in bokeh by the way).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
Big Dawg wrote:
walter g wrote:

Just suprised me to see a Kiron look like a Komine. I guees another possibility is Vivitar contracted Komine to build X number of lenses, and for some reason they couldn't finish the order. So they had Kiron finish the order using the same build drawings.
Nice looking lenses by the way. Might have to get me one, after you test them. Smile

Sounds like something Vivitar would have done.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
Big Dawg wrote:
aoleg wrote:

I tried Komine and Tokina versions of this lens. The Komine was single-coated and looked exactly as yours; the Tokina was a later RMC version. The Tokina was visibly softer, with less contrast (despite multicoatings) and mushy colors. The Tokina had smoother bokeh, but that alone wasn't quite enough. (The Nikkor is pretty rough in bokeh by the way).

We will soon see how the Kiron version stacks up!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
Just suprised me to see a Kiron look like a Komine. I guees another possibility is Vivitar contracted Komine to build X number of lenses, and for some reason they couldn't finish the order. So they had Kiron finish the order using the same build drawings.)

I think it is the most logical except i presume opposite (kiron main supplier and komine second) because the kiron version has the usual vivitar color coding (red marking)

Another possibility : vivitar bought to kiron and because of too big sales , bought a little stock to their "friends" of soligor and just changed the front ring .. i said that because the green color was distinctive of soligor and the red coding was distinctive of vivitar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PBFACTS wrote:
walter g wrote:
Just suprised me to see a Kiron look like a Komine. I guees another possibility is Vivitar contracted Komine to build X number of lenses, and for some reason they couldn't finish the order. So they had Kiron finish the order using the same build drawings.)

I think it is the most logical except i presume opposite (kiron main supplier and komine second) because the kiron version has the usual vivitar color coding (red marking)

Another possibility : vivitar bought to kiron and because of too big sales , bought a little stock to their "friends" of soligor and just changed the front ring .. i said that because the green color was distinctive of soligor and the red coding was distinctive of vivitar

Actually the green is a distinctive color of the Komine made fixed mount lenses for Vivitar. I have some examples of that.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the serial numbers these were produced 2 years apart. The Kiron in 1970 and the Komine in 1972.

Kiron 22 - 0 - 02 - 703

Komine 28 - 2 - 5 - 701

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:
According to the serial numbers these were produced 2 years apart. The Kiron in 1970 and the Komine in 1972.

Kiron 22 - 0 - 02 - 703

Komine 28 - 2 - 5 - 701

Perhaps designed by opcon = vivitar owned design ?