Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Troubleshooting the sharpness issue
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Troubleshooting the sharpness issue Reply with quote

Hi all,

I bought a G.Zuiko 28 3.5 a month ago, and finally received its adapter after waiting for about 6 weeks. The lens is not in its greatest shape, and I am using it on a Canon 600D with a big_is OM to EOS adapter. The adapter is a recent gen-type, with programmable EMF and AF chip.

The problem I am facing with the setup, is that none of the images taken appear to be in focus, or are blurred/fuzzy. At first, I was under the impression that the camera was not achieving infinity focus. But it turns out, I'm simply unable to get any sharp pictures at all - let the object be close or far.

I have added two pictures below,
1. First one is a close up image with object about 2 feet away from camera. I have focused with the help of 5x magnified liveview, and focused on the flower bunch in the center. The image looked sharp in viewfinder, but as you can see the actual result is not.

2. For the second image, I had fully turned the focus ring towards infinity, and the building you see is about 500 meters away. The camera was placed on a hard surface while taking the shot, so no possibility of camera shake either. But you can see that the building itself, along with the lights and other things on it, are all blurred. I even tried pulling the focus ring back by a bit, but it gave results which were worse.

From what I understood, there's no sharp focusing throughout the focus range. I can return both the adapter and the lens (different ebay sellers), though I don't really want to do either as I need to send them overseas. Also have heard lots of great things about this lens, so dont want to let it go easily, and want to see if the blurred images are my fault and can be corrected.

The two images are bit poor anyway, so will try to get some better shots tomorrow. I would be grateful if you could give me some pointers on what kind of image samples would be helpful to troubleshoot the problem. Any guidance will be helpful, as this is my first time with manual lenses.

Thanks,
pach

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suspect an improper re-assembly at some point in time. Flipped around element maybe?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
I would suspect an improper re-assembly at some point in time. Flipped around element maybe?

+1

Try some other tests maybe, but I'd start considering returning it, unless you paid it really little: in that case I'd try opening it and checking elements' positioning.
Consider that this last option can be a real pain in the *ss, especially if you have little experience in that.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both look like motion blur to me, no exif so can't check details, first one, at that distance it wouldn't take much movement from you or the flower to get this result, it looks like twilight in the second photo so easy to introduce blur if slow shutter speed

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:
themoleman342 wrote:

+1

Try some other tests maybe, but I'd start considering returning it, unless you paid it really little: in that case I'd try opening it and checking elements' positioning.
Consider that this last option can be a real pain in the *ss, especially if you have little experience in that.

+1

Also I remember i had a travegon 35 that had the same problem, after careful inspection i found that the glue from the rear element had gone "bubbly", it was barely visible but there. That made every picture as the one below and the lens unusable.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got to service a lens OM 90mm f2 it has wrong assembly , it did looks like this lens. Had to properly assemble again, return it or find an expert locally who can fix it.