Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Three 135/2.8's Tamron, Vivitar Rokinon - Which to keep?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:50 am    Post subject: Three 135/2.8's Tamron, Vivitar Rokinon - Which to keep? Reply with quote

I know - another one of these threads. Stop reading now or die the death of a thousand aperture blades! Wink
Over the years I have accumulated lenses from garage sales, markets and benefactors.
I have ended up with three 135/2.8's and I am going to keep only one.
So - yep, here it comes - I did a little practical image taking and thought it would be an easy matter to pick one.
You know how it is difficult to make a bad 135mm lens - well ..........
These are all close. Here are the lenses and my modest tests. I'll post in two parts to break up the images.

The lenses:
Tamron 136/2.8 Adaptall 2 BBAR MC
Vivitar - Komine - 135/2.8
Rokinon 135/2.8 MC
All lenses made in Japan.

All about the same size - Rokinon is the longest, Vivitar the shortest, Tamron the prettiest.

Minimum focusing distance is about the same, but Vivitar can get a smidge closer.

Now the money shots - @f2.8:
Tamron:

Vivitar:

Rokinon:

Crops@2.8
Tamron

Vivitar

Rokinon:

Apologies for cropping different parts of the image, but had to find the portion that was sharpest - wasn't always in the same place.

Next post will have sample shots at other apertures
OH

Last edited by Oldhand on Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:58 am    Post subject: Part 2 - those other apertures Reply with quote

Ok here we go

@ f4
Tamron:

@ f4
Vivitar:

@ f4
Rokinon:

and finally @f8
Tamron:

and finally @f8
Vivitar:

and finally @f8
Rokinon:

That will do. I don't -in practice - use other apertures higher than this very much.
So, what to keep?
I have a notion which one but would be interested in any comments you would like to make.
Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Mon May 09, 2016 6:04 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My intial reaction is a vote for the vivitar because of color and sharpness.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to agree with the vivitar, like the colours.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Mon May 09, 2016 6:02 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments Moira and Bernhardas,
The only adjustments to the images were exposure tweaks where needed - no other PP.
The Vivitar has a definite yellow cast - or more kindly, it is warmer - easily removed in PP or used to advantage in portraits.
I am leaning towards the Rokinon myself, but there is so little between them that my eyes can pick up.
Excuse lack of sharpness in some cases as it was probably my eyes when focusing and nailing point of focus..........

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vivitar for me. Why? Color and sharpness.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also go with the Vivitar. Nicer colors, better sharpness.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make it easy keep two and remove one... Laughing Which lens handles better in the hand when taking a photo?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Make it easy keep two and remove one... Laughing Which lens handles better in the hand when taking a photo?

Good thought Moira.
Thanks
OH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the pictures I like the Vivitar, but if you're using a Nikon body then the Rokinon is probably more convenient to use and still looks to be very good.

Every time I see shots from that Komine 135 I am tempted to go buy one immediately. I just got a nice Sears 135 though, so I'll be able to hold off for now.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, decision has been made.
I am keeping the Vivitar (Komine) and probably the Rokinon as well - as it will likely sell for peanuts.
I have sold the Tamron to a happy clicker.
In the meantime here is another result from the Vivitar that is pleasing.
OH

Last edited by Oldhand on Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, the Vivitar shows the best colour to my eyes. The Tamron does 'look' nice though but you want the image to do that. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again the colors are good, and good on you for selling at least one lens. Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vivitar for me as well. In addition to newer sharpness and color, I really like the solid build and feel in hand.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah but what do colour and sharpness have to do with story, or image for that matter Razz

Exactly. not much. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tromboads wrote:
yeah but what do colour and sharpness have to do with story, or image for that matter Razz

They make for a sharp colourful image? Illustrating the story to better effect? Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tromboads wrote:

Everyone knows when taken the picture is taken in 36 megapixel, on a 500 dollar tripod, with mirror lockup, post processed for 2 hours in lightroom, then downsize to a postage size image and upload to a website, the color and sharpness is all that counts.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bernhardas wrote:
i would keep the rokinon, it seems to require that you dial in -1/3 exposure but that is easily done.
i found the 2.8 pics difficult to compare so i have largely based my opinion on the 4 and 8 pics.

I agree with bernhardas. Rokinon seems much sharper and crisp than the other two lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbrooksII wrote:
bernhardas wrote:
i would keep the rokinon, it seems to require that you dial in -1/3 exposure but that is easily done.
i found the 2.8 pics difficult to compare so i have largely based my opinion on the 4 and 8 pics.

I agree with bernhardas. Rokinon seems much sharper and crisp than the other two lenses.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.
As I have said above, I have sold the Tamron and am keeping the Vivitar and the Rokinon.
Cheers to all
OH