Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

those little gold passed stickers on lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:
I have now owned at least 5 Helios 44s of different types and not one has been a dud optically, though two have now got stiff focusing, probably due to age. I have 3 Zuiko 1.8/50s and 2 of those have sticky diaphragms, but again they are optically great (except a bit of fungus on one). I suspect that the reputed sample variation in Russian lenses could come from the willingness of owners to self service cheaper lenses, when they may not have had the skills necessary to but them back together accurately.

I agree, plus the fact people didn't look after them as well as they did the more expensive stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hifisapi wrote:
Not only were the kmount takuamars poor optical and mechanical quality, they didn't even have multicoating.

Are these the ones named "Bayonet Takumars"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
hifisapi wrote:
Not only were the kmount takuamars poor optical and mechanical quality, they didn't even have multicoating.

Are these the ones named "Bayonet Takumars"

Yes. Here's the 2.5/135:

I think I've seem them without the [Bayonet] as well though.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Pancolart wrote:
Among USSR lenses of that age every 5th is a dud. .

I don't believe that for a split second. If so, where are all these duds?

They've got trashed. In Russia there are so many of them left that they're being routinely thrown away even if they work fine. My dad used to have a set of camera/lens equipment; it's gotten thrown away some time in the 1990's when newer, better stuff was becoming available. A year or so ago I personally trashed two Zenit E's: they were broken and not economically repairable, much cheaper to just get a replacement (in Russia, working Zenit E's sell from zero - given away for free if you buy a lens - to about $10).

I have 4 copies of Jupiter-9. Three of them are soft and glowing wide open, one is very sharp. The sharp one comes from 1967.

When I wanted a working Jupiter-21M, I went through 4 samples to find the only one with working aperture. Apparently, this lens has extremely flimsy aperture actuation mechanism that breaks easily and is a pain to repair.

Many Zenit cameras, when bought new, spent a lot of time in warranty repairs.

And so on, and so forth.

Russian lenses are (mostly) designed well, bullet-proof and such. If they survived through the years till now, not broken and thrown away by owners in Russia, they must be good copies that'll probably stay around forever.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="aoleg"][quote="iangreenhalgh1"]
Pancolart wrote:

Russian lenses are (mostly) designed well, bullet-proof and such. If they survived through the years till now, not broken and thrown away by owners in Russia, they must be good copies that'll probably stay around forever.

Ah! Lenses agreeing with Darwin's theory...the survival of the fittest Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Pancolart wrote:
Among USSR lenses of that age every 5th is a dud. .

I don't believe that for a split second. If so, where are all these duds?

They've got trashed. In Russia there are so many of them left that they're being routinely thrown away even if they work fine. My dad used to have a set of camera/lens equipment; it's gotten thrown away some time in the 1990's when newer, better stuff was becoming available. A year or so ago I personally trashed two Zenit E's: they were broken and not economically repairable, much cheaper to just get a replacement (in Russia, working Zenit E's sell from zero - given away for free if you buy a lens - to about $10).

I have 4 copies of Jupiter-9. Three of them are soft and glowing wide open, one is very sharp. The sharp one comes from 1967.

When I wanted a working Jupiter-21M, I went through 4 samples to find the only one with working aperture. Apparently, this lens has extremely flimsy aperture actuation mechanism that breaks easily and is a pain to repair.

Many Zenit cameras, when bought new, spent a lot of time in warranty repairs.

And so on, and so forth.

This explains why they were ridiculed and dismissed as junk in the West.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the early 70s, when a Zenit was the entry point for the less well-off amateur photographer, the Helios lenses had a very good reputation. I was an avid reader of Amateur Photographer and one or two other magazines, but I never read anything about "sample variation" in connection with Russian glass, so I think this is a much more recent phenomenon.

My theory is that if there are a lot of poor quality Helios (and other Russian) lenses about now, it may be due to the rise in lenses being sold from what was the Soviet Bloc. The lenses intended for the home market may have had less stringent quality requirements than the lenses originally intended for export, as foreign currency was sorely needed back then, and Zenit and Zorki etc. were sold on reputation as well as price.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My early 60's J9 is typical of what's described around here, very soft wide open but sharpens up considerably when stopped down. My understanding is the earliest Russian models are best since they were still using the "stolen" equipment, materials and people from Jena but later cut some corners to increase production and lower cost. While doing modifications/repairs to mine I noticed a few little things like simplified construction, thin aluminum and cheap grub screws. Still a sturdy lens, just not as tight and substantial as, say, my Biometar (which is lying in pieces right now). I'm no expert, but just my observation.

Sorry to stray from the "sticker" discussion, Just going with the flow. It's interesting.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me, there is a bit of a pattern here, and the reason I haven't had any duds is I bought older lenses mostly and mostly RF ones, the lenses people are having duds with are mostly later SLR ones I haven't had much experience with.

Helios 44s, maybe I've just been lucky with mine.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here, in the east, back in the days, Russian lenses and cameras were the cheapest and considered generally unreliable due to the variations in quality. DDR cameras and lenses were considered much better and were more expensive. We were all dreaming at Japanese and western cameras but they were not available on the market regardless of price. You should know someone in the west to send you one or you should buy one used from the second-hand photo shops at high prices.
Only in the last years I (and my friends too) “rediscovered” the quality of the URSS lenses. And, oddly enough, they seem to be better in quality now than in the years they were manufactured. Parabellumfoto is probably right and only the good ones survived.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan_ wrote:
Here, in the east, back in the days, Russian lenses and cameras were the cheapest and considered generally unreliable due to the variations in quality. DDR cameras and lenses were considered much better and were more expensive. We were all dreaming at Japanese and western cameras but they were not available on the market regardless of price. You should know someone in the west to send you one or you should buy one used from the second-hand photo shops at high prices.
Only in the last years I (and my friends too) “rediscovered” the quality of the URSS lenses. And, oddly enough, they seem to be better in quality now than in the years they were manufactured. Parabellumfoto is probably right and only the good ones survived.

I didn't say that. The German poster before me, Aoleg made that summation. Like you, I think it is the most likely reason why we have such good quality Russian lenses. Ian also states that he referred only to referred to earlier RF models. Again I think this also sounds about right because it wasn't until the 1970's before the communist system really began to unravel. Even then, East Germany was the strongest and most viable of all communist nations around the world. Generally speaking, that could also offer some explanation why DDR lenses were regarded as better quality.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the UK Russian gear was imported by Technical and Optical Equipment. They tested every item imported and only put the ones that passed on the market with no passport and a TOE instruction manual. I suspect the bad 'uns got sent back. This could explain why Russian lenses in the UK were of a good quality.

back to the original subject: Some cheap cameras NOT made in Japan had a 'passed' sticker on them too, but I expect it was the manufacturer trying to kid us that our Mintaxes and Olympias were top quality but had no 'official' recognition.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not just RF lenses, mostly RF lenses. I've had quite a few SLR lenses too, but I'd say half of my Russkies were rf lenses made before 1965.

Some of my Russkies were bought in the UK, some in Eastern Europe, two or three came from Russia.

Perhaps some lenses were of better QC than others, perhaps some factories had better QC than others, I don't know.

I do think it is quite likely all the duds got trashed long ago, I would always defer to someone who lived the former USSR, they are bound to know more than I, I can only speak about the lenses that have made it as far as my little corner of the world.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frenched wrote:
My early 60's J9 is typical of what's described around here, very soft wide open but sharpens up considerably when stopped down. My understanding is the earliest Russian models are best since they were still using the "stolen" equipment, materials and people from Jena but later cut some corners to increase production and lower cost. While doing modifications/repairs to mine I noticed a few little things like simplified construction, thin aluminum and cheap grub screws. Still a sturdy lens, just not as tight and substantial as, say, my Biometar (which is lying in pieces right now). I'm no expert, but just my observation.

Sorry to stray from the "sticker" discussion, Just going with the flow. It's interesting.

The Zenitar 50mm/1.7 is a good exemple of a good quality lens made in the late years. Also, I have 2 44M4, and their quality is also nice. So, I don't think that your idea is right.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Helios 103 is very good, one of the best I've seen from the 10 or so USSR lenses I have.