Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

This week's finds
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: This week's finds Reply with quote

My girlfriend supplements her income by combing the thrift stores and reselling via E-Bay. Since I've been out of work, I've accompanied her on several occasions. This week turned up some goodies.

First, a dusty, scruffy K 1000. This one an early to midlife version still bearing the Asahi name. It's not marked as to country of origin. I'm wondering if it was assembled on the SP-500, SP-1000 line in Hong Kong? I've cleaned it up a bit. Managed to get the jammed battery cover off without buggering it up too badly. Contrary to its rough look, the shutter looks and sounds good and a fresh battery shows the meter at least responding. This is my second K 1000. The first is a China made, plastic bodied version. That one is slightly larger in external dimension in a side by side comparison! This camera feels great in the hands. A bit smaller than the FL and FD era Canons that I have so much experience with. Easy to see why its predecessors were so popular.

This Canon T70 came up in conversation at another thrift. The original owner offered to give it to me as the LCD panel was no good. The lens is fine, so I made a donation and brought it home with me.

This is my first T series Canon. It's certainly from the first series of Canons that made no attempt to hide their polycarbonate exteriors under a layer of chrome plating or black enamel. The advertising dept. managed to get two lines of brag text under the Canon logo.

The camera seems to work, though it's difficult to know exactly what it is doing due to the partially failed LCD display. It shows enough to set ISO speed and know the camera is in shutter priority mode. Exposure counter is still visible, too.

A roll of film will go into each of these old warriors and we'll see what happens!

Bill

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the same K1000 yesterday at junkyard flea market !

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not have believed there were junkyards in Singapore!

On my third trip, I took the MRT loop around the island and did see some untidy industrial areas, probably in the southwestern quadrant.

The comment my photos of S'pore invariably evoke; "Everything looks so clean!"

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

casualcollector wrote:
I would not have believed there were junkyards in Singapore!

On my third trip, I took the MRT loop around the island and did see some untidy industrial areas, probably in the southwestern quadrant.

The comment my photos of S'pore invariably evoke; "Everything looks so clean!"

There is one and famous one near Bugis MRT. It is at Sungei Road. Sometimes or someone would called it thieves market rather than flea market as some stuff are from unknown source. One of the rare things you could find, for example, a mint condition boxed zoom lens made by Cosina or Sigma ! Shocked

Our government keep promoting clean and green, garden city Singapore. It seem it works ! Laughing