Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

the world's ugliest Exakta to EF adapter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:52 am    Post subject: the world's ugliest Exakta to EF adapter Reply with quote

I've got a Hong Kong Exakta to Canon EF adapter, which works well for non-auto lenses. Unfortunately, the 2 Exakta lenses that I really want to use are auto lenses, with the gigantic knob sticking out the side.

I had a T-mount to EF adapter hanging around, so I popped out the inner threads and used extra-long screws to clamp that narrow little Exakta bayonet. There's a huge gap, so I wrapped it with a black shoelace hoping to prevent light leaks, dust etc.

This contraption lets me mount onto my EF body, at the cost of 10 or so mm of extension.

In the case of my Flektogon 25/4, landscapes are out of the question, and in fact portraits are challenging...

It could be used as a cumbersome macro lens, where half the trick is keeping the lens from shading the subject. There's about 3 cm between the flower and the front glass element.

Still, it's less frustrating then having a lens sitting on the shelf not knowing if it works at all Razz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggestion -
Get an M39-Canon adapter - they do make them.
M39 is almost exactly the Exakta mount diameter
Remove the Exakta locking lug, tape the Exakta mount to make it fit snugly in the M39 hole, drill and tap the adapter to mount three small screws, similar to what you did, best I think would be to use setscrews.
You may even get infinity.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just used an M42-EOS adapter, it fits over the exakta bayonet and if it's a flanged one the fit is pretty tight, just a few blobs of epoxy and it is pretty well secured, it does give infinity too.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Suggestion -
Get an M39-Canon adapter - they do make them.
M39 is almost exactly the Exakta mount diameter
Remove the Exakta locking lug, tape the Exakta mount to make it fit snugly in the M39 hole, drill and tap the adapter to mount three small screws, similar to what you did, best I think would be to use setscrews.
You may even get infinity.

The problem is that auto knob on the side, it hits the collar around the EF mount.

Your way would greatly improve the Sonnar's reach, but the Flek is trickier. When I rotate the Flek from infinity focus to 1m, the glass elements only move forwards by about 1mm Shocked so it's unforgiving as hell.

Even freelensing I can't get infinity on the Flek without some tilt. Once I plug an adapter into that EF mount it's already a macro lens Razz

I've got an Exakta body on the way, and one of these days I'll splurge on a NEX. I just got frustrated having this glass on the shelf that I hadn't been able to try.

The Sonnar is a nice flower lens (as you'd expect) on this contraption, if I ever get some shots I'm satisfied with I'll post them.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is some space available to get infinity with the method I'm describing.
Its essentially what I did to make Exakta-Pentax K adapters. On those I'm off infinity by a bit over 1mm

On a Canon you get that back, pretty much.
If you can find a thin enough flanged adapter you're in business.

AND I have adapted lenses with the "arm", such as the Pancolar. Just arrange it so the arm ends up projecting down, under the lens.
After all, if you make your own adapter you can set the lens alignment as you want it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can take the arm off and tape up the hole in the lens.

Non-destructive mod and easily refitted.