Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The rear lens group of Heliar 105/4.5 as a portrait lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: The rear lens group of Heliar 105/4.5 as a portrait lens Reply with quote

A Portrait Exercise

(Self as model but not intended to be a self-portrait, just an exercise in style)

Taken with the rear lens group of an uncoated 1928 Voigtländer Heliar 105/4.5 (FL drops to something like less than 60 mm) on EOS5D, no lens shade, lit by a 135 cm long strip of 96 LEDs running back to front on one side 15 cm above head, about 1/4 of the LEDs behind face level, camera hand-held, no cropping, slight sharpening, slight texturing and contrast adjustment.

The rear group seems to be quite good as a soft-focus portrait lens and would probably be even better on a crop body, but my hands weren't long enough for a full face shot with my 350D.

Veijo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite interesting experiment Veijo! I always liked Heliars!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks a paint, (Mona Lisa) excellent really!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like the picture very much, it is genious and i fully agree with Attila that it looks like a famous painting ( but not the self portrait of Leonardo as Mona Lisa), cause you´re not smiling, you´re focussing with your eyes and thinking what comes out

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone Smile

I've always liked the Heliar, even the bokeh sometimes, and this trivial, reversible modification makes it even more valuable for me, both as a portrait lens and for a certain type of landscape photos where a moderate amount of field curvature will create a nostalgic atmosphere without any extra post-processing. I hope I'll soon get an opportunity to take some test shots.

Veijo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fabulous image, I like it alot. Very artistic Cool

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations ...good picture , seems like Rembrandt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply stunning,I like where you are going with this...painting with a camera?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice Veijo! Thanks for share.
Monalisa with beard Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks GrahamNR17, Teo, IAZA

Veijo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Simply stunning,I like where you are going with this...painting with a camera?

Thanks Smile

This isn't a straight photo, it has been slightly textured afterwards. Now that I'm not so much testing lenses anymore, I'm experimenting with post-processing and texturing.

Rather small adjustments can change a photo like this a lot. The white balance of the posted version isn't natural, it's much too warm, but I had a certain kind of pictorial effect in mind. Correcting the WB somewhat will result in a picture with a darker and colder mood, like this:

Sometimes I like one version, sometimes the other one better.

Veijo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Looks a paint, (Mona Lisa) excellent really!

Exactly !
I thought immediately Leonardo da Vinci ! Smile

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the explanation...great creativity. Cool