Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The Difference a Little Alabama Sunshine Can Make
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:47 am    Post subject: The Difference a Little Alabama Sunshine Can Make Reply with quote

Shot both of these with my Vivitar 28-200 f/3.5 lens at the 28mm focal length and f/3.5. I used Auto aperture, Auto White balance and Jpeg. I set the incamera settings at Neutral and let the camera do the compensating with the shutter speed. The first one is with cloud cover and hand held. It is rather drab without much contrast.

The next one, I used the same settings but had good old Alabama Sunshine to aid in the process. Much better color and contrast here.

I usually shoot this scene with every new lens I get. I then run it through the different f/stops and EV as well as the different in camera settings for contrast sharpness and saturation till I find the one combinations I like. My tastes are more towards dark colors and contrasts. But the sun always aids you if you get it in the right position. observations and opinions are welcome.
This one was processed to what I like. Not the very best but it proves to me the lens will do well at 28mm.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albiet, Im looking at these with a crap monitor at my work, but #2 clearly the best. Is it only me, or do others see little black dots in #1 and #3 samples. I see little black dots all around shaded area as if the blacks have been crushed in post. Are these the infamous black dots of the 5dmkii before the firmware upgrade?

Last edited by Bruce on Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:34 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunshine really makes a big difference...

Jes.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice experiment!
shadows and warmer colors of sun help alot

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
. Is it only me, or do others see little black dots in #1 and #3 samples. I see little black dots all around shaded area as if the blacks have been crushed in post.

I noticed the black spots as well, very distracting… Perhaps a flaw in the processing software used? Even without the spots I prefer #2 with the additional contrast introduced by sunshine.