Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The beauty of OM
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: The beauty of OM Reply with quote

I'm now wondering why I've detoured to Nikon and Minolta - nice they are too - and though I understand why I've dipped into Pentax so much, I'm beginning to remember that we don't forget our first love.

What I don't understand is why the hell I didn't simply get a new-used OM camera when my OM2s went fritzy. And an OM2/n so the vf is bright and it doesn't eat batteries. WHY!?! Please Olympus, forgive me, I am young Laughing

I bought this set on ebay (the pic is from the seller) and it arrived yesterday, I opened the package and instantly remembered what I love. Though larger than the Pen FT equipement I grew up with, the OM lenses and mount is instantly familiar to me. The lenses simply feel like a lens ought to. And the camera, still a jewel after all this time.

I'll have fun shooting with this kit - I now have 3 of the 50/1.8s, a 50/1.4 that may have a slow aperture, an 85/2 (I think I once researched it as one of the 'good' ones), the 28/3.5 (tiny!!) and the 35-70 zoom.

I'm thinking a) the zuikos are perfect for any possible mirrorless camera b) the Nikon kit may be expendable, or is it the Minolta kit?

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice jussi, congrats. i'm sure you will use it well.
tony

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! I had for limited period I did love it, enjoy this great cam!

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats and damn you, Jussi! Laughing Now I have to find lenses for it. I sold my OM2 to a friend with the
3 lenses and was sorry 5 minutes after the sale.

Click here to see on Ebay

Offered $105 and was accepted, thinking I shouldn't encounter any issues.

Jussi, how much would you charge to rent one of your 50's? Laughing

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it amazing when you put a piece of equipment that is intimately familiar to you in your hands !

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

preccccious, my preccccccious ...

Smile

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Congrats and damn you, Jussi! Laughing Now I have to find lenses for it. I sold my OM2 to a friend with the
3 lenses and was sorry 5 minutes after the sale.

Offered $105 and was accepted, thinking I shouldn't encounter any issues.

Jussi, how much would you charge to rent one of your 50's? Laughing

No wait, Bill, did I buy the 3 lens kit you sold? Laughing

Yes, I can send you one of the 50's, let me get them all lined up for a group photo first.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jussi, thanks, but after I made that comment I found this:

Has Made in Japan so I think it's one of the sharper ones in the series.

Would like to see what you think of the 50/1.4. The 85/2 is an envy, yer gonna love it. Wink

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the 85/2 back in the 90s, daughter was performing in school plays and I wanted something long-ish and fast. Did not want no flash photography.

Too bad about the 50, as I definitely have a surplus. The 1.4 my brother in law gave me, a KEH bgn, but as I say I suspect the aperture is a bit slow (but then again, the OM2s shutter may have been capping)...

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My CBA has managed to avoid OM kit. Congrats on yours though as I can see the attraction. Cool

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, Jussi! Enjoy, but keep the Minoltas, too!

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aspen wrote:
Congrats, Jussi! Enjoy, but keep the Minoltas, too!

That's what I'm thinking: sell the damn Nikon. But not before I get the Nikkormat in order to recreate my childhood experience. And then, when Nikon offers a full frame DSLR with backwards compatibility... ok after that I'll sell Laughing Laughing

I should take a pic of the OM and the XE-5 next to each other, both with their 35-70s on. A freak show pic, or a dog breed illustration, or like the one from Arbus with the giant in the apartment.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My OM1 was the most expensive camera I ever bought (adjusting for inflation) at a whopping 6 times my weekly salary! But what a jewel. I sold it in the early 80's coz i was short of money. Along with my Sigma 135 f1.8. Irreplaceable.

The OM10's and OM40's bought later (and well used) were never a match for the sleek sexy OM1. My love affair with Olympus ended when they refused to service my OM10 and OM40 when they both broke down - when i was doing a wedding!!! Spares were not available to a local repairman either. I bought a bag full of (3) nikons FM, FM2, FE from a local newspaper. I've never gone back.

I always dreamt of owning an OM2 or OM2n, maybe I will. The bodies go for big bucks on the 'bay but lenses are two a penny, which is why I use them on my Nikon digital and my Nikkormat..

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conglats and welcome to the "OM" club! Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The beauty of OM Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
I'm beginning to remember that we don't forget our first love.

Jussi , you old romantic !!! Laughing Congratulations ! I never had an Olympus ,until my EPL1 that I love and was in my pocket since I bought it. But these are the old school beauties ,I bet you'll have a great time shooting with. Waiting for the pics ! I'd keep the Minolta ,but here's a subjective question !

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up an OM1 with a few lenses, including a 1.4 / 50, for next to nothing a short while back. I had never used an Olympus SLR before, and it just happened that when I bought it I had my camera bag with me and some XP2. Within an hour the OM1 had become my favorite camera ever, and it still is.
Since then I've picked up the odd OM30, which is a strange thing with it's pellicle mirror and focus confirmation - with the right lens it autofocused. But it didn't have the af lens, just a bunch of other nice Zuiko's and Tamrons. I haven't run any film through this one yet, but it seems a decent camera.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the Om10 and Om20 were/are cheap rubbish...mind you they have taken some very good photos when I've used them so the camera at least gets the exposure right.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Well the Om10 and Om20 were/are cheap rubbish...

Cheap? Yes. Rubbish? No way. The OM10 is one of the greatest amateur SLRs ever made and that why they sold shiploads of them. Cool

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:
Excalibur wrote:
Well the Om10 and Om20 were/are cheap rubbish...

Cheap? Yes. Rubbish? No way. The OM10 is one of the greatest amateur SLRs ever made and that why they sold shiploads of them. Cool

Well just shows how gullible joe public was and still is Laughing...The OM 10 has a design flaw and the manual speed control on my OM20 has stopped working......................Even the well known OM repairer on Apug doesn't have a high opinion of them.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only go off my experience. My OM10 is still going strong after at least 30 years and the Manual Adapter works well. It's a lot better than the Nikon EM!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:
I can only go off my experience. My OM10 is still going strong after at least 30 years and the Manual Adapter works well. It's a lot better than the Nikon EM!

erm you must have tried other cameras, a Canon T70 maybe just for a few ££££s more bought now, would walk all over it (on ebay this week Canon T70 with 50mm F1.8 and 80-210 zoom BIN £15........there is now no reason to get an OM10 to start using film with better cameras around for similar prices.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330818088595&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123&clk_rvr_id=405085960785&afsrc=1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stingOM wrote:
Conglats and welcome to the "OM" club! Laughing Laughing

drooool!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing against the Canon (except looks) which was launched 5 years after the OM10. The only point I was making about the OM10 is that it isn't/wasn't rubbish. If I had both OM-1 and the OM10, would I find much difference in the quality of the photos produced by each? I suspect they would be near identical if using the same lens. The OM10 opened the door to the OM system for lots of amateurs like me who couldn't afford (and probably didn't need) a professional quality camera.

The only disappointment I had when I got my first OM10 was that it wasn't noticeably sharper than the Zenit EM/Helios 44M it replaced, but the exposures were definitely more accurate.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:
Nothing against the Canon (except looks) which was launched 5 years after the OM10. The only point I was making about the OM10 is that it isn't/wasn't rubbish. If I had both OM-1 and the OM10, would I find much difference in the quality of the photos produced by each? I suspect they would be near identical if using the same lens. The OM10 opened the door to the OM system for lots of amateurs like me who couldn't afford (and probably didn't need) a professional quality camera.

The only disappointment I had when I got my first OM10 was that it wasn't noticeably sharper than the Zenit EM/Helios 44M it replaced, but the exposures were definitely more accurate.

Well at least a Canon can use M42 lenses..try it with an OM camera Wink But the exposure system is probably better than quite a few other makes as I think I'm correct in saying the OM10 reads the exposure on the film plane i.e. correct exposure is when a film is loaded.