Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

TEST: 1.4/50mm lenses compared
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2024 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjphoto wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
jjphoto wrote:
I always appreciate such comparisons, so thanks very much for posting this. These kinds of comparisons are much more useful than simple example images (which are fine too). I also think it's best to shoot these kinds of comparisons without hoods, because that shows up the flaws in the lens better (IMHO)....

I tend to agree, however, doesn't that give lenses with more recessed front elements unfair advantage?

Maybe they are better designed, so any advantage would not be 'unfair'. It's still telling you something about the lenses performance. Lots of lenses absolutely need a lens hood whilst some are great without them.

Agreed. And as kiddo says:
kiddo wrote:
probably the difference on the depth of the hood for these lenses wouldn`t be that big as topcor re 58mm 1.4 wich is about 2cm only if I remember correctly

My point is hoods prevent omnipresent stray light from entering the lens, thus improving contrast and reducing flare. A more level playing field as it were. Perhaps tests without hoods may show only coating effectiveness differences.