Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tair 3S tripod mount?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Tair 3S tripod mount? Reply with quote

Hi all, I recently picked up a Tair 3S, and I noticed when trying to mount it on a QR plate that the tripod mount hole seems really shallow - I couldn't get close to tightening it up before the screw bottomed out. Has anyone else had this problem, or what tripod/plate are you using?

Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can get 7.7mm of thread into the tripod mount of mine, more than enough thread for the Manfrotto quick release plates with 4.5mm of thread, and a Gitzo ballhead with 5.5mm of thread.
The Tair is one of the best tripod mounts of any lens that I've got, it's the only one with 1/4 and 3/8 threads, but it is shallower than the others, the Tamron and Tokina mounts are 10mm deep and some of the Canon and Minolta are up to 12mm.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is...really odd Confused I'll go check the depth on mine, but it seems far, far shallower. Now I'm wondering if there's something stuck in there (didn't look like it though.)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked with my verniers and the depth's only 4.56mm. Very strange. Which version of the Tair do you have?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just add a spacing ring.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my Tair 300, I also have the Photosniper version - which does have a very shallow 3/8 hole, which with a 1/4 adapter in it gives me 5mm depth

Photosniper, with 3/8 to 1/4 reducing bush in place - 5mm depth of thread
[url=http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/201412/big_1849_DSC01101_1.jpg]
[/url]

with bush removed and shown on lens base plate.

Last edited by Lloydy on Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I got a Photosniper version and luckily had a spare 3/8 to 1/4 adapter - still too shallow for my Giottos QR plate, but at least I can mount it on something now Smile might be a little over the top for my Novoflex Micropod though!

Thanks for all the help!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the tair photosniper kit and had the same problem. The solution for me was to disassemble the metal plate from the original kit box ( 2 screws if a remember correctly), the one that keeps the lens in place in the kit box and use it as a spacer between lens and tripod. It fits perfect with my 3/8 to 1/4 adapter and I think it also has 2 metal guides (not sure right now about this) to prevent the lens rotating , but this workaround supposes that you have the original metal case.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After much looking, I was able to find a shallow 3/8 to 1/4 adapter on eBay which worked well. Unfortunately, I've lost the details of the order (some place in Texas, I think), but with a little searching you should be able to find one. The difference in the pictures is distinctive. Only a couple of screw threads and no shoulder.

Good luck.
Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The adapter in my picture above fits flush into the lens, and I've used it with that adapter on a tripod without it coming loose or falling off - but I am careful with it and wouldn't carry the tripod around with that much weight on a short thread.
Looking at the engineering tables for 1/4 whitworth or UNC thread the standard nut thickness is 7/32 inch or 5mm, which is the optimum thickness for strength and not stripping when tightened. So the 5mm depth in the lens should be OK as long as the thread in the lens or adapter is in good condition. And of course, we wouldn't be tightening the thread with 5 inch long spanner to the recommended torque of 4 ft/lbs.