Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tair-33 "Old style"
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Tair-33 "Old style" Reply with quote

After reading lots of posts here and seeing sample images-I had been waiting on getting one-the waiting is over now- it arrived today along with a HorizonT panoramic camera.

Every thing moves well , theres a few spots of rust towards the front, and on the outside lid -I will have to clean.

This could double up as a "persuader" , or a "workout weight" Very Happy .
I am now waiting on the adapter for the lens to arrive.

Lens

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So much nicer looking than my beaten up Tair-3!

However, I love my Tair, one of the highest IQ lenses in my collection.

I just bought a mint padded bag for a Sigma EX 400mm from a car boot sale for 4ukp and it fits the Tair like a glove. So now I can carry the Tair more often, it took up a lot of space in my camera bag so I often leave it behind.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks yummy Smile I also like to get one
How is the performance compared to Tair 3C or Tair 3S ?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a beautiful looking lens...can't wait to see the image samples!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
So much nicer looking than my beaten up Tair-3!

However, I love my Tair, one of the highest IQ lenses in my collection.

I just bought a mint padded bag for a Sigma EX 400mm from a car boot sale for 4ukp and it fits the Tair like a glove. So now I can carry the Tair more often, it took up a lot of space in my camera bag so I often leave it behind.

As long as it produces great quality images- sounds like you have a good one. I think the bag idea is good one-you can be more mobile with it.
ForenSeil wrote:
Looks yummy I also like to get one
How is the performance compared to Tair 3C or Tair 3S ?

I could not tell you , it has not started performing yet- I am waiting on an adapter from Europe. Very Happy

mo wrote:
That is a beautiful looking lens...can't wait to see the image samples!

I be sure to post sample images when the adapter arrives .

Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a great lens, but I rarely go over 135mm. It's sharp in the centre wide open.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
It's a great lens, but I rarely go over 135mm. It's sharp in the centre wide open.

How come you rarely go over 135mm? Is it difficult to focus?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh no, not again Kath....
LBA Sad(

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAZA wrote:
oh no, not again Kath....
LBA Sad(

I have to lots to catch up- Very Happy Very Happy . Razz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have posted this a couple of times before but I think it's worth repeating as it shows the quality of the Tair.

First shot I ever took with it, pointed out my back door at a seagull, handheld, 1/500 sec, f4.5.

Pretty damn sharp imho.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOoooohhh !!!
I like this old style very much.
It's a lovely lens, for sure !
What mount is it ? Pentacon-6 ?

I like my Taïr-3A 4.5/300 "Brussels Grand Prix 1958" a lot.
It's another very fine old style lens.

Here is the topic I made, with some sample pictures.
http://forum.mflenses.com/tair-3-grand-prix-brussels-1958-4-5-300mm-t24853,highlight,%2Btair+%2Bgrand+%2Bprix.html

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
OOoooohhh !!!
I like this old style very much.
It's a lovely lens, for sure !
What mount is it ? Pentacon-6 ?

I like my Taïr-3A 4.5/300 "Brussels Grand Prix 1958" a lot.
It's another very fine old style lens.

Here is the topic I made, with some sample pictures.
http://forum.mflenses.com/tair-3-grand-prix-brussels-1958-4-5-300mm-t24853,highlight,%2Btair+%2Bgrand+%2Bprix.html

Its a Kiev88 mount.
-Wow thats a very nice looking lens- thanks for showing your beautiful lens-its therapeutic . Very Happy

I am waiting on a mount-this one-maybe next week or later.

cheers

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow-up:

My Kiev 88 mount arrived today-from "dvdtechnik.com"-I was impressed at how fast it got here.
I took the lens out for a run today and experimented mainly shots @ infinity or close to infinity @ f5.6.I knew this was going to be heavy-but I found it just a little too heavy for my liking-I am going to be selling this lens.
I do plan on taking some test shots outside at close focusing distance, and below 135 mtrs. tomorrow-just to see if that might change my mind.

Here are some images from today-

The first one of the mountain is an HDR of 3 images-tweaked until I liked what I saw.

This one somewhat closer.

Regards Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No wonder you are smiling they are really nice results! Very Happy I have not tried the HDR technique yet...it does add something extra.I look forward to the next round of images...a special lens.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any awesome looking lens which produces fine results. Looking forward to more. Let us know how much you want for it Smile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW.
Very nice results Kathmandu ! Very Happy

I have 2 Taïrs 4.5/300 : the very old one above, and a modern one.
The Taïr-3A Brussels Grand Prix 1958 has a minimum focusing distance of 3 meters, filter diameter of 70mm and weights 1.295 Kg.
The Taïr-300A has a minimum focusing distance of 2.20 meters, filter diameter of 81mm and weights 1.530 Kg.

The Brussels grand prix is my fav because of its rings smoothness.
I have to find a reduction screw pin to be able to use it with my monopod. Any adress for such an accessory ?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice results. You did well to get that gull shot.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
WOW.
Very nice results Kathmandu ! Very Happy

I have 2 Taïrs 4.5/300 : the very old one above, and a modern one.
The Taïr-3A Brussels Grand Prix 1958 has a minimum focusing distance of 3 meters, filter diameter of 70mm and weights 1.295 Kg.
The Taïr-300A has a minimum focusing distance of 2.20 meters, filter diameter of 81mm and weights 1.530 Kg.

The Brussels grand prix is my fav because of its rings smoothness.
I have to find a reduction screw pin to be able to use it with my monopod. Any adress for such an accessory ?

Merci, regarding the reducer pin for your monopod- I'm sorry I could not find any information. Whar size pin /screw does your monopod have-and what size hole does the 'Grandprix" have is it the same like the Tair-33.

I have seen in the DIY section -"Jessito" had a nice tutorial on making a monopod from s ski-pole-maybe that might open up some other way for you. Very Happy Very Happy

Yebisu wrote:
Nice results. You did well to get that gull shot.

Thank -you it wasn't easy -

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need 5/8 to 3/4 reducer ring, these are easy to buy in ebay from Hong Kong, I have one fitted to my Tair-3C.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
You need 5/8 to 3/4 reducer ring, these are easy to buy in ebay from Hong Kong, I have one fitted to my Tair-3C.

Are you sure thats the size of the screwhead on his monopod?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Kathmandu and Ian.

I have a modern monopod, so I think it's quite standard today. I can screw the 5D MkII directly on it.

Would it be a 1/4" 3/8" adapter like this one ?
http://cgi.ebay.fr/1-4-3-8-Screw-adaptateur-vis-f-appareil-photo-trepied-/290592336128?pt=FR_IQ_PhotoVideo_Accessoires_Accessoires_Photo&hash=item43a8a72900

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's the one, all modern tripod screws are the same size.

Sorry for my typo in my last post, it should have read 3/8-1/4 not 5/8!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Ian.
I ordered 3. Wink