Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tair 300mm - what would the best converter be?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Tair 300mm - what would the best converter be? Reply with quote

Hi,

I have been given an option to purchase a Tair 300mm. Having used it once for proper photos, I just need to learn its limitations.

Now I know some lenses can be coupled with a converter but is there a specific converter that is worth getting?

Ebay seems to have loads between 2 and 3x (and one or two 2-3x) but is there a specific brand/make to keep an eye out for?

Was try to shoot motorsport (first time ever) over the weekend and found focussing difficult followed by not being as close as I'd like (to try). Hence the tele-converter post Smile

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivitar teleconverters seem to be quality converters

i have a russian teleconverter in m42 mount but haven't tried it with tair-3 yet

those 2x-3x teleconverters are actually 2x converters with added screw on tube that make them 3x

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using a 2x teleconverter is going to give you a slow lens, dark viewfinder and compromised image quality.

I bought a Kenko 300 DGX Pro 1.4x teleconverter which does a pretty good job and will turn the lens into a 420/6.3, which should be pretty good.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Kenko 2x TC Reply with quote

Hi,
I use a Kenko ef 2x teleconverter on my Tair 300mm all the time and it works great! i also use a 2x Paragon TC M42 that works just as good.
I use Canon 550d and also use extension tubes on the Tair 300mm for close ups and the Tair will focus at 3ft! great for video'ing critters too.
Have a look on Flickr for the Photosniper and Tair 300mm groups and you will find loads of photos + videos etc (RowdyRebel1)

Cheers
Brian
if you get a chance of a Tair 300mm get it! they are superb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rowdy Rebel is a legend with a Tair 300, he really does some great stuff with it, and a converter.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies Smile

Will keep an eye out (should have mentioned Im using a d300 nikon).

One other quick question, the shots I took don't seem to be that sharp. Now it could be me or my settings so I am going to try some more later this week, but I also thought it may be the adapter... 15ukp from ebay with the inifinity. For nikon, is there a recommended best adapter, or is it whatever is available? Would you get one without the infinity so there is not glass between the lens n camera?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The glass will degrade the IQ, can it be removed so you try it without?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also used the Kenko converter with MF lenses, but af-adapter caused defects in the camera's operation . 5DC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: adaptors Reply with quote

Hi,
I use a M42 to EOS adaptor with AF confirm chip (no glass lens needed with the Canon ef)
The glass lens in the M42 to Nikon adaptor will most probably have a bad effect on the Tair's focusing which is very sharp, i know you need the glassed adaptors for infinity focusing on your Nikon but they are usually better on smaller/wide angle lenses.
Personally if you are intending using a 2x Kenko TC with your Tair i'd forget about the infinity as the Tair + 2x TC works best at range 10ft to 30ft (i can focus at infinity on my 550d and yep the Tair is still pretty sharp at that but i tend to shoot Birds/Wildlife upto 80ft away to get decent sized image without needing to crop etc)
The adaptors with the AF Chip are worth every penny and make focusing with the Tair a breeze (with practice)
To get the best out of the Tair for Birds etc i always use my monopod or tripod or Beanbag (handheld is very hard with 2x TC fitted but ok with just the Tair fitted to my Photosniper rig) i use f8 most of the time and a fast shutter speed to freeze birds (TV)
Cheers
Brian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The glass will degrade the IQ, can it be removed so you try it without?

Don't think it can be removed, might just get a new ring adapter without the glass.

This is approx 10 meters away - hand held, manual at 1/320s f8 I think... might be f4.5. Only boosted exposure by 2 stops in capturenx.

100% crop.

These two are the same pic, one resized full one a closer crop (resized)
From a tripod with Mup (as the shutter was shaking the tripod - well its never needed to cope with this sort of weight before Very Happy )

Think this is because of the glass in the adapter?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's focused behind the cigarette box...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Shots taken with Tair 300mm + 2x Teleconverter Reply with quote

Here's a few of my shots taken with the Tair 300mm + 2x Teleconverter.
Seems to work fine?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39613787@N05/sets/72157627523019214/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link... wow they look great!

Guess its my adapter, technique (or lack of) and eyes...

Hoping for some semi decent weather this weekend to play again - adapter without lens has been ordered but isn't due for a while.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Tair 300mm Reply with quote

Cheers, you will soon get the knack when you get the glassless adaptor Very Happy
Look forward to seeing some shots of yours
Cheers
Brian