Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tair 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again folks.
I took it to the castle yesterday for the falconry show, shame it was rubbish, dark weather. I don't like pushing the 7D past ISO800 so a lot of my day was spent shooting wide open. Confused I'll try again on a bright day.
Olivier, I read your thread about this lens before buying mine, thanks for the information. Smile

Fermy, I can't help you there because mine isn't the sniper version.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here, there is the manual Very Happy
http://www.commiecameras.com/sov/35mmsinglelensreflexcameras/cameras/photosniper/manuals.htm

and here the blog from where I got the manual :
http://www.techtheman.com/2009/04/photosniper-tair-3-phs-300mm-f45.html

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
Here, there is the manual Very Happy
http://www.commiecameras.com/sov/35mmsinglelensreflexcameras/cameras/photosniper/manuals.htm

and here the blog from where I got the manual :
http://www.techtheman.com/2009/04/photosniper-tair-3-phs-300mm-f45.html

Cool Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary, I know your Tair is different, but a couple of people in this thread have the sniper version, I was hoping for their feedback. Judging by your falcon shots, you don't need any extra support anyway Wink Sorry for the highjack.

Olivier, thanks for the link to the manual. Unfortunately I couldn't figure out how difficult the adaptation is from the manual, so would still like some input from the sniper owners.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't sure if you were asking me or the sniper owners, thought I'd answer so you wouldn't think I was ignoring you. Laughing

I'd like to know about the conversion too. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
Gary, I know your Tair is different, but a couple of people in this thread have the sniper version, I was hoping for their feedback. Judging by your falcon shots, you don't need any extra support anyway Wink Sorry for the highjack.

Olivier, thanks for the link to the manual. Unfortunately I couldn't figure out how difficult the adaptation is from the manual, so would still like some input from the sniper owners.

The trigger pushes a pin which press the shutter of the Zenit camera. This shutter button is located underneath the Zenit's body.
How to make it work on other cameras ?

Here is a conversion using elecronic cable trigger :
http://www.flickr.com/groups/zenitphotosniper/discuss/72157625941816197/
Video :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxuYi6Q5SMc

Another thread :
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/56246-any-experience-photosniper-russian-tair-3-phs-300mm-f-4-5-a-6.html

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, this does not really build my confidence Sad . I would prefer a mechanical solution as E-PL1 does not allow the use of wireless trigger and I don't like irreversible conversions anyway. Would it be possible to use a mechanical remote release driven by the sniper's trigger?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this link, the owner adapted a release cable.
http://t.hacquard.free.fr/site2/sniper_1_en.html

You see it in the second picture.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm I seem to remember here in the past the sniper outfit was reckoned to be over rated, now everyone is saying how great the lens is...I could have bought the complete outfit in a case maybe for £60 but didn't bother.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super! Thanks Olivier. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
erm I seem to remember here in the past the sniper outfit was reckoned to be over rated, now everyone is saying how great the lens is...I could have bought the complete outfit in a case maybe for £60 but didn't bother.

That's how I read things too, which is why I didn't get the sniper version. I think this one (300-A) is better, though I stand to be corrected. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the difference between Tair-3A and Photosniper version except the mount? Lens diagram seems identical...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://translate.google.fr/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.photohistory.ru%2Findex.php%3Fpid%3D1207248188998898

Optical diagram is the same.
I think the improvements are in the mechanical design and the lenses' glass qualities, for instance coatings.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to see how I converted mine to release my 400D using the trigger, I'll post up a few pictures when I get time. In short though, I put a spring under a portion of the trigger inside the Gun mount, and use that to touch a wire, thereby triggering the shutter. It's fully reversible too, just take the parts out again should I want to.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier, the link in your post does not say about any improvements in Tair 3A compared to Tair-3S, in fact, it says that it's the same lens with different mount. So one would think that any improvement in coating is related to the year of production.

Newstuff, of course post the pictures of your conversion, that would be great.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:

Whoever said it was over-rated was talking rubbish, great lens, always has been.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, let's throw a spanner wrench in this Tair lovefest. Tair is just a simple triplet, with relatively big f4.5 aperture. No aspherics, no special glass, nothing.

Canon FD 300/f4 non-L version is 6 elements in 6 groups, uses special fluorite glass in two of the elements. Canon FD 300/f5.6 is again, 6 elements in 5 groups, no special elements, but much less ambitious max aperture.

Old Nikkor-P 300/f4.5 had 5 elements and a reputation of a mediocre lens. Nikkor AI and AI-s, which are considered decent, are all 6 elements design. They also have an improved ED and ED-IF versions with special glass.

So what gives? Are Nikon and Canon just daft putting all those extra elements and exotic glass, where a simple triplet would suffice? Honestly, this does not make sense. Or is this lens good just because it's acceptable for the price and cheaper than Canon/Nikon?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't worry myself with things like number of elements, MC etc. - I look at a picture of a gull in flight and think "Unbeatable!"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gull is great, no question. However, is it unbeatable because the lens is any good, or simply because to get the damn bird in focus is so difficult that when you nail it the lens IQ does not matter anymore?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
Alright, let's throw a spanner wrench in this Tair lovefest. Tair is just a simple triplet, with relatively big f4.5 aperture. No aspherics, no special glass, nothing.

Canon FD 300/f4 non-L version is 6 elements in 6 groups, uses special fluorite glass in two of the elements. Canon FD 300/f5.6 is again, 6 elements in 5 groups, no special elements, but much less ambitious max aperture.

Old Nikkor-P 300/f4.5 had 5 elements and a reputation of a mediocre lens. Nikkor AI and AI-s, which are considered decent, are all 6 elements design. They also have an improved ED and ED-IF versions with special glass.

So what gives? Are Nikon and Canon just daft putting all those extra elements and exotic glass, where a simple triplet would suffice? Honestly, this does not make sense. Or is this lens good just because it's acceptable for the price and cheaper than Canon/Nikon?

All logical and would add:-
I've got very good results from a zoom, at it's sweet spot, with 2Xs extender @ 300 to 400mm that would be cheaper than a Tair or Nikon, Canon etc mind you I use a film camera which probably doesn't count Wink

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary, I was wondering what serial number is your Taïr 300A ?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:

No680247 Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
Alright, let's throw a spanner wrench in this Tair lovefest....

I have precisely zero idea why it gets the results it does. I know less than an inebriated slug about Triplets and optical formulae, and in a departure from my usual "Must know EVERYTHING!" way of thinking, I don't honestly care. All I know is that it Works, and gets great results with less work from me, so I can concentrate on Composition/Framing, light, shadows... You know, all the important things that the gear is largely secondary to.

I think the main attraction for me of the Sniper version is the focus. I much prefer having it under the barrel on a lens this long, my hands just fall there naturally, with or without the "gun". I would be in heaven if my Pentacon 300/4 had the focus located there.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, now that I've got a Sniper myself, I see that it works. However, the rational part of me still looks for a catch. There must be a catch somewhere, Canon and Nikon wouldn't be putting extra elements if they could achieve the same performance with a triplet. Some sacrifices must have been made, but I don't see them. Not that I complain Smile

Totally agree on focusing. The focusing upfront is indeed a game changer. I could never focus my FD 300mm handheld, just wasn't possible, easy-peasy with Tair.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
Olivier wrote:

No680247 Very Happy

Thank you Gary.
So, it is from 1968. Smile