Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tair -3-PhS 4,5/300
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 6:34 am    Post subject: Tair -3-PhS 4,5/300 Reply with quote

Is this the original and best photo sniper lens?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by original and best?

Original photosniper was made during WWII and cost several thousand euros.
The best is certainly the last version, multicoated from late 80's.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2024 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I know is that I really like the Tair -3-PhS 4,5/300 as pictured in your post. I'm happy with mine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2024 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how much the Tair 300 / 4.5 in either of its type differed or developed over the long period it was made. There might be some cosmetic differences, but optically I don't think they altered. Maybe cotings were improved?

I've got both versions, the Photo Sniper is a KMZ and the Tair-3 is a ZOMZ.

I much prefer the Sniper, even off the stock. The focusing is far easier with the wheel under the front of the lens. The 'traditional' focus of the Tair-300 is at best a bit heavy, even after a relube, and tends to twist the camera. Especially something light such as a Sony. It really is a tripod lens.

I don't use either lens very much, but they are very good, sharp and good contrst. Just heavy and cumbersome.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2024 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I'm not sure how much the Tair 300 / 4.5 in either of its type differed or developed over the long period it was made. There might be some cosmetic differences, but optically I don't think they altered. Maybe cotings were improved?

You are right, optical it was the same from 50's to 90's. There are a lot of versions, most of them differ by construction and coating.

Normal Tair-3 :
GOI Tair-3 for Kiev RF (like Zeiss Olympia Sonnar 300)
Tair-3 for Zenit in M39 (By KMZ then ZOMZ)
Tair-3 for TV camera(early) by KMZ.
Tair-3T for TV camera by KMZ and then ZOMZ
Tair-3A for Zenit M42 or Nikon by KOMZ.
Tair-3N for Nemo device.

Photosniper :
GOI and KMZ original photosniper (war time) used Tair-2, very close to Tair-3, for FED camera.
Tair-3-PhS and Tair-3S or FS-3 for photosniper, only by KMZ. First white/cream body, then black. Last versions are MC.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2024 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently got non sniper 300mm with stiff focus Stiff is not the word

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2024 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this lens, I took it with me today for a cycling race:

crop:

I might post some more photo's and video's later this week.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2024 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baekmann wrote:

That ain't bad at all for what it is!

Like 1 small Like 1 small

-D.S.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2024 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a great lens, no doubt about it. Like 1 small

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2024 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baekmann wrote:

I'm sure the bicycle would win!
Laugh 1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2024 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:

I much prefer the Sniper, even off the stock. The focusing is far easier with the wheel under the front of the lens. The 'traditional' focus of the Tair-300 is at best a bit heavy, even after a relube, and tends to twist the camera. Especially something light such as a Sony. It really is a tripod lens.

I don't use either lens very much, but they are very good, sharp and good contrast. Just heavy and cumbersome.

I seem to remember a change in UK law a few years ago. The Sniper and similar-looking cameras were covered by new (terrorist?) legislation. Whether it was about owning one or just using it in public may be something you would want to check. Anyway, there was a definite warning that armed police might shoot before you can ask them to say "cheese".

https://amateurphotographer.com/latest/photo-news/sale-of-gun-style-cameras-to-be-outlawed/

The Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006 made it illegal to sell, import, manufacture, or cause a realistic imitation firearm to be brought into Great Britain.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2024 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

e6filmuser wrote:
The Sniper and similar-looking cameras were covered by new (terrorist?) legislation. Whether it was about owning one or just using it in public may be something you would want to check. Anyway, there was a definite warning that armed police might shoot before you can ask them to say "cheese".

The Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006 made it illegal to sell, import, manufacture, or cause a realistic imitation firearm to be brought into Great Britain.

Oh gosh. So it's definetly an advantage to live in a country where (nearly) every man has its own (military) automatic gun at home ... and therefore no restrictions on using my Novoflex 5.6/400mm (let alone the Photosniper which is much smaller) !!

Wink S

EDIT but sure enough, prohibiting knives willl be the next step in Great Britain (and maybe Germany) ... just wonder when they will outlaw rescue helicopters because helicopters can be used for killing people ?!?

Sorry for that rant.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2024 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
e6filmuser wrote:
The Sniper and similar-looking cameras were covered by new (terrorist?) legislation. Whether it was about owning one or just using it in public may be something you would want to check. Anyway, there was a definite warning that armed police might shoot before you can ask them to say "cheese".

Oh gosh. So it's definetly an advantage to live in a country where (nearly) every man has its own (military) automatic gun at home ... and therefore no restrictions on using my Novoflex 5.6/400mm (let alone the Photosniper which is much smaller) !!

Wink S

EDIT but sure enough, prohibiting knives willl be the next step in Great Britain (and maybe Germany) ... just wonder when they will outlaw rescue helicopters because helicopters can be used for killing people ?!?

Sorry for that rant.

If indeed everyone where you live has a gun in the house, I don't think it's a good idea to point a Novoflex at them, I would feel safer with a true rifle instead Laugh 1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2024 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultrapix wrote:
stevemark wrote:
e6filmuser wrote:

Wink S

Sorry for that rant.

If indeed everyone where you live has a gun in the house, I don't think it's a good idea to point a Novoflex at them, I would feel safer with a true rifle instead Laugh 1

Depends on your priority: self defence or evidence.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2024 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e6filmuser wrote:
Lloydy wrote:

I don't use either lens very much, but they are very good, sharp and good contrast. Just heavy and cumbersome.

I seem to remember a change in UK law a few years ago. The Sniper and similar-looking cameras were covered by new (terrorist?) legislation. Whether it was about owning one or just using it in public may be something you would want to check. Anyway, there was a definite warning that armed police might shoot before you can ask them to say "cheese".

https://amateurphotographer.com/latest/photo-news/sale-of-gun-style-cameras-to-be-outlawed/

I don't think this legislation was passed in the full form it was proposed, but I'm not entirely sure.

I was in a outdoor pursuits / shooting / hunting / fell walking / wild camping store recently where they sold large caliber hunting rifles and shotguns, target rifles and high powered target air rifles and hand guns. They also sold perfect replica display guns of all kinds along with replica BB guns. Comparing the BB's and air guns to the real thing was impossible to the eye, but they were legally on sale.

But, I rarely use my Photosniper or Novoflex 240 in public areas any more, it not worth the hassle or the risk. Ive had people expressing concern when I was using the Photosniper to 'shoot' the ducks on the local pool.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2024 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it definitely feels awkward using such a lens nowadays, but I feel awkward using any conspicuous lens (large zooms etc.). I hate people looking at me while I'm thinking about composing an image, especially when I hear the comments ("What is that guy shooting?", etc.). Speaking of Tair, people are too sensitive and too crazy these days, and sometimes we just have to deal with it; which I'd rather do than give up on my hobby and my freedom.
I'm sorry if someone gets spooked so easily, but it's their problem rather than my own. I get spooked each time someone flies by me on his el. scooter at high speed, on a sidewalk, and I can't even hear him coming. What can you do? That's life. Unlike those on their scooters, we don't actually put anyone at risk with our lenses. I don't even shoot people (no pun intended...).