Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Super takumar 50mm/1.4 repair - silly mishap
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Super takumar 50mm/1.4 repair - silly mishap Reply with quote

I have a super takumar 50mm/1.4 with yellowed glass, but otherwise in fine shape, smooth focusing and absolutely clear glass (except for the yellowing).

I tried placing it in the sun for a couple of days, and it seems to work - after three days the brownish/yellow tint was visibly less prominent. Smile

BUT: somehow the lens fell down from the window sill and dented the aperture ring making it stick. I have tried dismantling the lens, but I am not able to get the aperture ring sufficiently round to avoid quite heavy friction. Embarassed Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

So now I am in the market for an otherwise defective (and therefore cheap) super takumar 50mm/1.4 so that I can salvage the aperture ring .... Question

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can disassemble the bent ring, have you tried filing or sandpapering the "low" spot on the bent ring ? Is it just the aperture ring that is bent ?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
If you can disassemble the bent ring, have you tried filing or sandpapering the "low" spot on the bent ring ? Is it just the aperture ring that is bent ?

Thank you for your suggestion. I have dismantled the lens, and the only damage I can find, is to the aperture ring, which has received a dent giving it a flat spot on the inside. I have tried to remove the dent with a wooden dowel and a hammer. I am able to put the ring back on, but the ring is still incredibly stiff. Yes, filing the inside of the ring is probably the next step, as the lens is otherwise in very good condition (apart from the yellowing).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were me I might try and find an otherwise 'knackered' lens off ebay and use the ring from that as a replacement. But good luck with the filing!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xpres wrote:
If it were me I might try and find an otherwise 'knackered' lens off ebay and use the ring from that as a replacement. But good luck with the filing!

That may be the final solution, but I would hate to destroy a working lens - it should be an otherwise defective one...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an idea I would try: drill a perfectly round hole into hardwood, insert ring, then use a filter-ring vise inside ring to re-round the flat spot, using vise to press flat spot against hole interior.