Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Super-Multi-Coated Takumar vs Pentax-M 135mm f/3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:12 am    Post subject: Super-Multi-Coated Takumar vs Pentax-M 135mm f/3.5 Reply with quote

Decided to test both lenses against each other @ near infinity to see how the behave as landscape lenses.

comparison by devoscasper, on Flickr

@ f/3.5 the Takumar shows an image that is sharper and more contrasty than the Pentax-M. Centrally, both lenses show some manageable CA. Corners of the Takumar are much better (sharper, less CA).
@ f/5.6, center performance of both lenses is comparable. Corners of the Takumar are still better.
@ f/8, things change in favor of the Pentax-M. Corners are a bit better.
@ f/11, the Takumar seems to suffer a bit more from diffraction. It's notably softer in the center than the Pentax-M. Corners of the Pentax-M remain a bit better.

Conclusion: The Pentax-M is pretty weak wide open, but get's satisfactory sharp on a 42+ mp sensor throughout the frame @ f/8. Which lens is better depends on your purpose. @270 grams opposed to the Takumar's 331 grams, the Pentax-M is very light. It's also a few centimeters shorter. If you're prepared to stop down, it's a nice travel companion. Despite it's low weight, build quality is there as well.

If you don't necessarily need the reach of a 135mm though, I recommend the Pentax-M 100mm f/2.8 instead, which at 225 grams is a true feather weight and is a much better performer IMO, with usable corners wide open which become perfectly sharp @ f/4.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1
Useful test. Have used the M 100/2.8 since 1981. The first one I bought was stolen and was replaced with the current one. Found it useful for portraits a Pentax MX. After the shift to digital feels a little redundant but I am not terribly keen to buy another lens.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both, and yes the Super and SMC takumar 135/3.5 feel better

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any differences could also only be present due to sample variation (or aging variation more likely). In any case, production did become cheaper and cheaper over time (nothing like today though). I prefer the Takumars (where optical design is the same) simply because of the build quality (M lenses are pretty nice though, this is not a big deal for me) and M42 mount; because I love using helicoids instead of standard adapters.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always liked the 120/2.8 and the 150/3.5 from the M-series better. The S-M-C Takumar 135mm 1:2.5 (second six element version also available as SMC Pentax) was even better.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we're talking feel, as in the haptics of the lens, the Takumars are really unsurpassed by anything, at least IMO. The M series sacrifice a bit of it for lighter construction, but is still quite good.

titrisol70 wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go against the grain and say that my takumars have fared worse than my M and K series in terms of robustness.

I have had the 85mm f1.9, the 35mm f2 v1, and the 50mm macro v1. All three have had mechanical issues including backlashing focussing helicoids, screws ondoing themselves (inside the barrel on inspection!), or in the case of the 85mm - the entire barrel being loose longitudinally by 2-3mm. None of my M or K series lenses have had any mechnical issues.

I will admit that the aperture rings on the takumars are very tactile though. Focussing feel is more or less the same as the M or K series to me.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianSVP wrote:
If we're talking feel, as in the haptics of the lens, the Takumars are really unsurpassed by anything, at least IMO. The M series sacrifice a bit of it for lighter construction, but is still quite good.

titrisol70 wrote:

I love the haptics of Takumars as well, it’s better than Pentax-M for sure. For a lightweight lens however, I find the build quality of Pentax-M better than almost all competition.

When it comes to durability, I find it really hard to draw any conclusions. I think that in the days, Takumars and Pentax K series were considered more professional grade lenses than Pentax-M. This also means, in general, that those lenses were abused quite a bit more.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chhayanat wrote:
Like 1
Useful test. Have used the M 100/2.8 since 1981. The first one I bought was stolen and was replaced with the current one. Found it useful for portraits a Pentax MX. After the shift to digital feels a little redundant but I am not terribly keen to buy another lens.

Yeah, it totally surpassed my expectations when I bought it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting! Out of curiosity, does anyone have the 120mm version of both the Super-Multi-Coated Takumar and the Pentax-M? And any thoughts on how the 120 compares to the 100 and the 135?

I own the Pentax-M 120mm, but not any of the other lenses. I do have both versions of the 150mm but haven't done a similar comparison with those.

Regards, C

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

connloyalist wrote:
Interesting! Out of curiosity, does anyone have the 120mm version of both the Super-Multi-Coated Takumar and the Pentax-M? And any thoughts on how the 120 compares to the 100 and the 135?

I own the Pentax-M 120mm, but not any of the other lenses. I do have both versions of the 150mm but haven't done a similar comparison with those.

Regards, C

I used to have the Pentax K 120mm f/2.8, which is optically the same as the Super-Multi-Coated Takumar. I compared it to some of my 135's; I sold it because its performance was not better than some of my 135's, but I could sell it for good money. I didn't have the Pentax-M 135/3.5 yet at the time , but I'm pretty sure the 120/2.8 is a better lens optically, at least at wider apertures. Not as good as the Pentax-M 100/2.8 IMO, but I didn't do a direct comparison. The Pentax-M 100/2.8 performs about the same as the Minolta MD 100/2.5, I don't know if you have experience with that lens.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
I used to have the Pentax K 120mm f/2.8, which is optically the same as the Super-Multi-Coated Takumar. I compared it to some of my 135's; I sold it because its performance was not better than some of my 135's, but I could sell it for good money. I didn't have the Pentax-M 135/3.5 yet at the time , but I'm pretty sure the 120/2.8 is a better lens optically, at least at wider apertures. Not as good as the Pentax-M 100/2.8 IMO, but I didn't do a direct comparison. The Pentax-M 100/2.8 performs about the same as the Minolta MD 100/2.5, I don't know if you have experience with that lens.

Thank you. Honestly, the main reason I picked up the 120mm is because it is an unusual focal length. But I am not disappointed with its performance. Actually, since I have started exploring Pentax lenses I have been consistently impressed by how well they do. I am on M4/3, so that should make a difference in terms performance around the edges compared to APS-C let alone full frame.

I am going to have to look into getting myself a Pentax 100mm 2.8.

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one complaint I have about the Takumars, which is also true about a few of the M series as well, is that many of the smaller primes have a focus scale that is a glued-on aluminum strip. Over time, the glue becomes brittle, and the strip can detach and move freely with respect to the ring itself, which might be what you are experiencing as backlash. All the Takumars use bi-metal helicoids, which wear very little over time compared to all-aluminum ones, which are used on some of the lower-end m series lenses, so I'd find it odd if it were true helical backlash you were feeling.

The internal construction of the two series is very similar, so I'd imagine both would be equally likely to have screws come loose, although perhaps the heavier weight of the Taks stresses them a bit more.

Lida wrote:
I would go against the grain and say that my takumars have fared worse than my M and K series in terms of robustness.

I have had the 85mm f1.9, the 35mm f2 v1, and the 50mm macro v1. All three have had mechanical issues including backlashing focussing helicoids, screws ondoing themselves (inside the barrel on inspection!), or in the case of the 85mm - the entire barrel being loose longitudinally by 2-3mm. None of my M or K series lenses have had any mechnical issues.

I will admit that the aperture rings on the takumars are very tactile though. Focussing feel is more or less the same as the M or K series to me.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree that the 100 is better than the 135/3.5 or the 120mm, but IMO the late Takumar/K 135/2.5 really is the best of the bunch. The 100 is a very good lens, but not as good as the Nikon 105mm 2.5. Moving back a bit in focal lens, the Pentax-M 85mm f/2 is a severely underrated lens, overshadowed by legendary the 85mm Takumars, but marvelous in its own way.

caspert79 wrote:
connloyalist wrote:

Regards, C

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianSVP wrote:
Agree that the 100 is better than the 135/3.5 or the 120mm, but IMO the late Takumar/K 135/2.5 really is the best of the bunch. The 100 is a very good lens, but not as good as the Nikon 105mm 2.5. Moving back a bit in focal lens, the Pentax-M 85mm f/2 is a severely underrated lens, overshadowed by legendary the 85mm Takumars, but marvelous in its own way.

Maybe I'll put that to the test, although in my case it will be the Nikkor Ai-s 105mm f/1.8 (which should be only very slightly superior to the 105/2.5), and I'll throw in the Minolta as well. I can test the S-M-C Tak 135/2.5 against the S-M-C Takumar 135/3.5 and maybe throw in another brand as well.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
BrianSVP wrote:

Maybe I'll put that to the test, although in my case it will be the Nikkor Ai-s 105mm f/1.8 (which should be only very slightly superior to the 105/2.5), and I'll throw in the Minolta as well. I can test the S-M-C Tak 135/2.5 against the S-M-C Takumar 135/3.5 and maybe throw in another brand as well.
Thank you!