Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sun Optical 35mm F/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Sun Optical 35mm F/2.8 Reply with quote

I thought I should post something about a lens as I've been hovering around for a while now.

Got this lens on the bay, it's typical of Sun in that it's very attractive and distinctive looking, it's pretty well put together and the matching metal hood adds to the overall look.

I have not had a chance to test it out properly yet and when I used it the weather was overcast but on initial impressions it's adequate wide open and as with most lenses it get's good and sharp around F/8 which to be honest is where I would usually use a 35mm lens anyway. The colours seem nice and vibrant and flare and fringing appear well controlled on initial inspection.

I have better performing lenses in this focal range but I have to say this is one of the better looking ones so I shall probably keep hold of it for the time being at least.

Last edited by fatdeeman on Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Hmmm I don't know what's wrong there, should be compliant BB code.

Edit: Ok I worked the code out now, the pictures are clickable.

Last edited by fatdeeman on Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, these are nice items. The Sun primes are quite hard to find for some reason.

This one is a 1970's YS-model.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually own two of these would you believe!

I think it's also unusual in that it's a YS mount but has an auto/manual switch so you could in theory just use a T2 mount, haven't tried it yet though.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a few of the YS mount lenses had M-A switches.

I have a Sun (Rokunar brand) 70-210/4 like that, and a couple of Accura's.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they worth buying? I know where to get a 60-135 Rolling Eyes
Unsure of the condition.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say if they would be worth it to you; I am a lens collector, I like curious things like these even if they are mediocre.

That said, I find the Sun 60-135 zoom quite a nice lens. Its sharp enough for me anyway. If you don't mind blowing a little beer money on it I'd say its worth it. But beer money is all I would pay - $10-20.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm looking at BIN of $70+....Give it a miss this time.I have my eye on something else Wink
Thanks for replying.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd second that, it's a nice lens but half of the appeal is getting it for dirt cheap so that price sounds a bit too rich!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weather has been a bit better recently so here's a shot taken on a nice winter evening..

F/5.6 I believe.

It's definitely not astonishing optically but it has a nice colour rendition and it far from the worst lens I own.

I've decided it's a keeper, 50% for the pictures it takes and 50% because it looks interesting and is a little different!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Results look very good to me and it's a super sexy lens, so I'd keep it alright! Cool

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the results are very nice, esp for the price. i think sun is very underrated, as i have a pistol grip 70-210mm and i really like it a lot; nice color, contrast and around $50!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the very nice pics taken by Luis with the Sun 60/135. Strong contrast and great colors and with resolution not so high as contrast but very good too.(like the komura lenses?).

Con? Minimal focus distance: 2m.

Price here u$s 45. Too up. But I want to have it, I like this lens.