Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sun 13.5 cm f3.8 telephoto from 1950's
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever glue and paint this thing had inside it is the culprit. I have at least 20 lenses from pre-WW2 and they all have functioning apertures, but they also don't have any paint inside.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A shot here of the old (dead) cherry tree taken with this Sun lens, from inside the house, looking out to the NW. Tree is roughly 60 meters away, tree line further out is roughly 170 meters behind the cherry tree. Camera is Sigma SD14 at ISO200, 1/125 sec at f8. Image is right out of the camera; no processing:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit of haze there?

Mine has very good contrast, and is quite sharp wide open.
I haven't used it in several years but I have it to hand.
I may give it a try.

http://forum.mflenses.com/sun-optical-co-135-3-8-exakta-mount-a-1950s-surprise-t9407.html

24MP is a different case than 6MP, so we may see.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
A bit of haze there?

Mine has very good contrast, and is quite sharp wide open.
I haven't used it in several years but I have it to hand.
I may give it a try.

http://forum.mflenses.com/sun-optical-co-135-3-8-exakta-mount-a-1950s-surprise-t9407.html

24MP is a different case than 6MP, so we may see.

Yes, a very hazy day today. I may re-take the photo on a clear day and substitute.

Reading your post from 2008, infinity focus is pretty easy to set on this lens if you have a spanner wrench. Just separate the two sections of the lens, front and rear (they unscrew fairly easily) and you will see the adjustment ring at the rear of the front section. At least I think infinity adjustment is the purpose of that ring.