Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Suggestions on which version of the Helios 44 I should get?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some lovely sharp shots in this thread but most people responding don't appear to have read your question carefully about the swirly bokeh.

Back when these lenses were designed, like corner softness, the swirly effect was thought to be one of the signs of a cheap, poor quality lens and manufacturers were continually evolving new designs to try to avoid it. So it follows that the earlier models are probably going to suit you better. Also, I agree with Lloydy that the preset versions (44, 44-2 and 44-3) are more suitable for you and more fun too - using Av mode, instead of controlling the exposure, the stop-down ring becomes basically a bokeh control. You can turn it to achieve the bokeh you're looking for and the camera will adjust the shutter speed accordingly. Of course, any aperture ring will do this, but the stop-down ring on a preset is easier to use.

I'd recommend any of these three presets. I have two copies of the 44-2 (MMZ Zebra and KMZ coloured) myself. The 44 has 39mm mount thread for the earlier Zenit cameras and you'll need to use a 39/42 adapter ring with it for M42 adapters. The 44-3 has multi-coating, supposedly giving better contrast, but the difference is hard to see.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow lots of great photos now I have no doubt that any version of this lens could serve above my expectations. Should help a lot of others like me who are not sure which 44 they should get as well.

As Skida said I'll look for the first cheap and good condition one (Nice sum up btw lol) . And as peterqd said, will go for earlier versions as priority (which I think they are already among the cheapest except the 44 red p one) since I look for the swirly bokeh and character as priority.

btw, since hpmickey mentioned about close-up lens, I also had some problem focusing when shooting close ups with my jupiter-9 (Also 49mm). Would be great to get one and share between the J9 and the 44. But do close-up lenses create distortion as the + number increases? What's the preferred number to get that magnifies the image enough without damaging too much of the lens's quality? +2, +4, +8?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have enough experience with screw-on close-up lenses to comment generally. I own only one which I have bought with the Cosina 100/3.5 macro lens (for Minolta AF). I believe it is achromat, about +4D. I prefer to preset distance and aperture, then slowly move the camera and press the shutter release when the subject seems to be in focus.

Here is yet another one Helios 44-2+close-up@F11:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
Their order of manufacture (IIRC): 44Π & 44>44-2>44m>44m-(1,2,3,4,5,6,7)

You didn't RC Smile You missed out 44-3 and there was no 44M-1, 2 or 3.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

f5.6 Sony Nex 5N

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1978 Helios 44M, 8 blades aperture, which I am quite happy with; it became my standard lens right after the focusing split screen for my camera arrived.

Here is a photo example, at f/2 and MFD: