Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

suggest an inexpensive 300mm m42 lens for hawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:09 am    Post subject: suggest an inexpensive 300mm m42 lens for hawks Reply with quote

our red-shouldered hawks are back at black creek, nesting 50 yards from my front deck. their aerie is 50 feet up a big loblolly pine. i'd like to photograph mom and dad raising the fledglings when they hatch in late spring. i figure i have to be 100 feet minimum from base of the tree to get a good angle. 300mm enough? a pre-set or fixed focal length lens would be ok. this would be purely for photographing the hawks and other birds such as great blue herons, green herons, kingfishers, etc.
big dawg, i know you photograph birds. ideas?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tair 300A perhaps?
I've gotten pretty good result6s taking bird pics in the local park. Just make sure you get front rather then back lighting.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tair might indeed be a good choice for hawks, even if they drop it from mid-air it's built strong enough to handle it…

Umm, seriously, though, I'm not sure if 300mm is enough, but longer lenses tend to get expensive (and scarce) quite fast. A 500mm mirror lens could be one option, especially if photographing against the sky where donut bokeh is not an issue. (For a 300mm I'd go with the Tair on the cheap, CZJ 300mm f/4 for more.)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamron SP 60-300mm lens + 2x tele-converter
Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha,
Just five miniutes ago I got a Pentacon 300mm f/4.0 lens, some camera's, a SMC 55mm tak, 44-2 Helios and a few other lenses, for Eu 75,--
Quite a beast:

Last edited by Rense on Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:

That is uk-only ..

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
peterqd wrote:

That is uk-only ..

Yes I know, but he says in his answers he will ship to Poland and Portugal. I included the link just to illustrate my suggestion, but if fish wants to bid on it I'd be glad to post it on to him, but postage for a big heavy lens is going to be more than normal.

There are several threads about this lens on the forum, including brilliant bird pictures by Rob Leslie and others.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is shade in that pine all day long. it shifts as the sun moves, but back lighting won't be a problem ...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiratone Sharpshooter 6.3/400 is inexpensive with very high IQ/price ratio. Should be < US$75-100. Try for one with matched 2x TC, or if you can find it, the 7-element Spiratone T-mount 2X TC is very good.

Soligor 6.3/400 is nearly as good, same price.

In these severe actual-pixel crops, the trailer (according to TerraServer satellite photos) is 9.97km/6.2mi distant, through some significant haze and thermal turbulence (Canon 350D).

Spiratone 6.3/400 @f/11:

Spiratone 6.3/400 @f/16:

Spiratone 6.3/400 @f/11 + 2.5x TC:

Soligor 6.3/400 @f/11:

and for reference,

S-M-C Takumar 4/300 @f/16:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the Tair Photosniper version. Heavy, Awkward, stupid aperture control and the tripod mount was on an odd angle when connected to a DSLR. But the worst part was, it was below average IQ. Quite soft on distant objects, but ok up close. My copy may have been a Friday lens as others rate it.

The Tamron SP 300mm F5.6 prime if WAAAAAAAAY better IMO. Sharp wide open, contrasty, very light.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tair 300A not photo sniper version I did try many from Nikon 300mm f4.5 ED IF to Talkumar 300mm my Tair copy was good as any under 500 USD.