Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

street shots with the cv color heliar 75/2.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: street shots with the cv color heliar 75/2.5 Reply with quote

ive been reading some talk on one of the forums lately on whether one can do street work with a 75mm lens. well i took out my heliar with my gxr m mount, making it 112mm with crop. i really enjoyed it. the perspective was very different than typical, but other opportunities then present themselves.

as for the lens itself, i find i am really liking both its range of b&w tonality and its lovely color rendition. its also very compact and has a buttery smooth focus mechanism. i highly recommend it. c&c welcome and encouraged.
tony

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#3,#5 and #6 to me great sharp shoots well done!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a fine crisp lens

patrickh

and a fascinating series

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you both! this is really a lovely little lens. the last one was my favorite, because of the reflections in the window. i was surprised at how many opportunities for interesting street photos one has with such a long lens. its really just a matter of 'perspective'! it also helps a great deal that the gxr has an external vf that pivots to 90 degrees--it is quite unobtrusive when used in 'waist level' mode.
tony

Last edited by rbelyell on Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice images from Copake Tony Cool
Lens is perfect for street photography.

Wink

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice but picture 10 made me shudder Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice images. great cam, lens and photographer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you guys! much appreciated!

rolf, good guess, but its Hudson, not Copake. Very Happy so, how do you know so much about upstate ny?

T: yeah, me too, i hate heights. interestingly i found so many opportunities, like that shot, where a long lens like this really came in handy vs the usual 35-50mm street FL.

suat: thats very nice of you. its amazing how this camera transforms these RF lenses; the IQ difference between it and more mp m4/3 is stunning to me.
tony

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice series.

What forum had the discussion? Any lens is fine for street.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
thank you guys! much appreciated!

rolf, good guess, but its Hudson, not Copake. Very Happy so, how do you know so much about upstate ny?

tony

Hi Tony, nothing. Was only a joke. I saw the telephone# on one of your images and tried to find out where it is. Hobby of mine. Google earth is your friend. But in the future I have to do a better research. The church on one of your images is at the second view different than the church in Copake (but it seems the same building style).

Anyway, I have now an idea where you are taking your images. I hope this is ok ? Twisted Evil

Wink

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lovely series, my fav is the gasoline meter (?) and the last one with the reflections - the window needs some cleaning, but still people looking in, that is imo the eyecatcher.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin: thanks! the thread was on rangefinder forum and as i recall specifically directed at 75mm, for some reason. for me, typically the longest lens i use on the street is a 40mm eqivalent, because i like the flexibility of taking up close building shots. i have to say though, i really enjoyed the different perspective i got from the 112mm fl. its good to shake things up!

rolf: thats funny! i think its great for us to have some idea of where our colleagues 'do our thing'. the reeason the two churches look alike is the two town are indeed fairly close, and were most likely settled around the same time. obviously after they built the saloon, they built the church next! Laughing

thomas: thanks man. yeah, i think that is an old time gas pump. it was part of the decor of the restaurant at which we had lunch. and my favorite as well was the last one-the reflection really makes the shot somewhat unique.
tony

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely series tony, there's some super shots in there. The b&w train line shot is superb!

For me, the lens is a bit tight for the street stuff I tend to shoot, but that's not to say it can't be used! I've taken a 300mm mirror lens for a street shooting set before. You will find that the old...I mean more traditional street shooters swear by 35mm only Wink

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great lens, great cam and great series, what else Very Happy ...
just a remark concerning pict #3, according to the exif, it was shot at 640 iso, it looks like quite noisy for 640 iso Confused ... and I thought the gxr was better regarding high iso Question

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony, some real eye-candy in these, grand old buildings and one has
an honest-to-god awning on the front, takes me back...

Strong set in all, congrats! Smile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

graham: thanks so much. nice to hear from you and hope youre well. i really loke the track shot as well as it shows off the tonal range of the lens.

pascal: thanks. there is less noise on the 'full mp' view that i have. the gxr does well up to iso800 even pixel peeping. after that, the shots still look good yp to 1600, but pixel peeping is disappointing. the x100 is my low light/high iso camera. in #3, there may be some noise, but i actually think the atrngth of the picture is the phenominal texture and resolution the camera/lens gives in a difficult lighting situation.

bill: thanks! not just awnings, but most stores have hanging signs!
tony

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice image, no. 2 is my fav

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#4 for me!

Good to see you putting that great lens to use. Do try to use it on a full frame body if possible, 75mm rocks!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys!
hari, it was your posted work with this lens that inspired me to use it on the street.
tony

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
thanks guys!
hari, it was your posted work with this lens that inspired me to use it on the street.
tony

thank you! now that you have great results too, shoot some more my friend!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit late here as I missed it originally, but the B&W shots are all stunning and film-like.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really awesome photos. I liked the model aerial dogfight scene.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin: thanks. I agree this lens provides very cilm like results in both b&w and i think in color also.

Joseph: thanks very much. I had not seen anything like that plane setup before so it was a natural subject, very funky!
Tony