Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

stiff Pentacon Six adaptor
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: stiff Pentacon Six adaptor Reply with quote

I have a P6 lens with a stiff pentacon six to m42 adapter. I'm not sure if I should turn the adaptors ring clockwise (green) or counter clockwise (blue) to remove it. What's the right direction, if I look at the front side of the lens (like this:) ?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue arrow will remove, green arrow will close it again when mounted.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should also be a cutout visible in one of the three slots - this is the top and every P6 lens has a small locating peg that fits into this cutout.

The ring can be removed for regreasing the threads if it is stiff to turn - turn it until the cutout is visible and the ring stops.

Mark the ring and make a corresponding mark on the adapter body.

Look for a screw head around the circumference of the ring - this is the stop pin.

Remove the stop pin.

Carefully unscrew the ring, counting each turn until it comes off and take note of how many turns it took.

Clean and regrease the threads.

Refit the ring and screw it back in the same amount of turns it took to remove it.

Refit the stop pin - if necessary move the ring slightly to permit the pin to be fully screwed in.

Mount a P6 lens and check that it is securely held.

That's it.

Much much easier than it sounds. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. But I'd need to remove the adapter firstly. It is imposible to turn it neither way Sad

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's mounted on a lens, it's either been grossly overtightened or it's been on for so long that the grease has dried out.

I don't know if your adapter is the Pentacon type but if it is, it's normally a very precise fit and thus doesn't need the retaining ring to be too tight, so try seeing if the lens will separate from the adapter as is since you may have unwittingly turned the ring far enough for the parts to separate.

Hold the lens in one hand and the mount in the other and gently flex the assembly as you try to pull it apart.

Failing that, look for the screw head I mentioned previously and remove the stop pin so you don't break it, wrap some thick rubber bands around the ring and then use rubber gloves to help you grip the ring better and try unscrewing it again in the direction indicated by Carsten - but just enough to dismount the lens though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, it's disassambled now Smile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting these directions! I was able to free my lens too Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: stiff Pentacon6 adapter Reply with quote

Yes, it worked for me too!
thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had with mine such big problem that adapter was removed from Sonnar 2.8/180 using 2 wrenches for removing oil filter. I couldn't believe that it was no single scratch neither at lens body nor adapter. The shop owner is photography enthusiast (medium format -Hasselblad). To protect lens and adapter (both zebras) he used rubber tape.