Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Steinheil Culminar 135mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Steinheil Culminar 135mm Reply with quote

Hello, all. I am new to the forum and have a couple of questions regarding my LTM Steinheil Culminar 135mm lens for anyone who is familair with them.

How far from the rear of the lens barrel is the rear element? On my lens, the rear element is 3-3/4" up into the tube measuring from the rearmost edge of the mount, and is located near the front of the ridged area on the focusing ring 1-1/4" inch back from the front edge of the lens. Am I missing the actual rear element, or is this normal? It seems that there should be some glass closer to the camera, but I just don't know.

Also, it is my understanding that it is normal for the front head to detach for use in bellows applications, but I can't figure out how to do it. Are some versions of this lens not designed with this feature? I see nothing to grip for unscrewing the head other that the aperture control ring, and I don't want to force it since it doesn't seem to want to unscrew.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Bates

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The actual Culminar optics are very compact, its more like a LF barrel lens or enlarger lens configuration. The thing really is just a lens head on an empty focusing tube. Its even more like a barrel lens in that it isn't even a preset, its just got a manual aperture.

The head unscrews, mine does so quite easily.

The thread on the head is M40, same as the Exakta extension tube thread. This was probably deliberate I think. One can take the head off and screw it into an extension tube segment, add the Exakta mount end from the extension tube set, and stick it on an Exakta bellows.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the reply. The lens is just as you describe - a basically empty tube with a compact glass array at one end.

Do you grip the aperture control ring while unscrewing the head? I see no other way to grab it on mine, and it does not even hint at wanting to come off, causing me to wonder if it is even possible on my example. I have a Visoflex II (LTM version), and a bellows II that I would like to try the head on if possible.

The glass looks very clean, with no fog, haze or cleaning marks that I can see, which is unusual from what I have read about most examples of this lens. I'm looking forward to playing with it on my IIIF. I'll come up with a homemade hood since I understand that these are very susceptible to flare.