Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Stein MC Auto Zoom 70-215 F:3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Stein MC Auto Zoom 70-215 F:3.5 Reply with quote

hi,
i just bought this lens from a local flea market. apparently it is Made in Japan and this is its name Stein MC Auto Zoom 70-215 F:3.5. the interesting thing about it, is that it has some kind of defocus control, as you will se in images below, and i will show you what effect it makes on a photo..IT is a push-pull macro zoom actually.
does anyone know this lens? i have read that this lens was made by Vivitar ..
the 2 picture shows the Defocus control , but it also gets things more closer. turning it will allow me to focus very very close.
the 3 picture was taken with the ring set to macro
the 4 picture was set to 1:1,6 . obsers the effect it makes, this blur. the picture is in focus! this is the best shot out of 10!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Stein MC Auto Zoom 70-215 F:3.5 Reply with quote

Buga wrote:
hi,
i just bought this lens from a local flea market. apparently it is Made in Japan and this is its name Stein MC Auto Zoom 70-215 F:3.5. the interesting thing about it, is that it has some kind of defocus control, as you will se in images below, and i will show you what effect it makes on a photo..IT is a push-pull macro zoom actually.
does anyone know this lens? i have read that this lens was made by Vivitar ..
the 2 picture shows the Defocus control , but it also gets things more closer. turning it will allow me to focus very very close.
the 3 picture was taken with the ring set to macro
the 4 picture was set to 1:1,6 . obsers the effect it makes, this blur. the picture is in focus! this is the best shot out of 10!

judging by the first photo inner glass elements are not clean, that's why you get that fogginess in the fourth photo at high magnification

that "defocus control" is actually macro ring used to set magnification ratio, common on many zoom lenses like this

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so this blur effect is caused by the fact that the lens is dirty ? in fact, its not really that clean inside, i took a look inside it. ițll try to clean it,and see if it dissapears. Still, do you know anything about this lens? who produced it ?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buga wrote:
so this blur effect is caused by the fact that the lens is dirty ?

yes, see the milky residue on the lower half of the inner lens on the first photo? i have the same on one of my lenses sigma 100mm that has macro option. it doesn't impact the photos until in macro mode and on high magnification

Buga wrote:
Still, do you know anything about this lens? who produced it ?

first time i ever heard about Stein lenses, probably rebadged lens from another manufacturer. by the lettering and color of the letters my guess would be Tokina.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so a simple cleaning of the inner elements will fix the problem?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buga wrote:
so a simple cleaning of the inner elements will fix the problem?

if you can manage to clean that milky residue, then yes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a lens with a similar milky look to one of the elements, it turned out the glass had been etched somehow, it wasn't really residue. I tried everything to get rid of it, thinking it was just residue, ended up trying some pretty powerful solvents and nothing seemed to touch it.

Hopefully not the case with yours.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok) thx a lot) as soon as ițll get myself a proper tool for that
i saw you have a big collection of minolta lens. do you know anything about this adapter ? apparently it would let me use m42 screw mount lens on a minolta md camera. but the problem is that the lens does not focus to infinity. i tried it with helios 44m-6 and this Stein lens.. it seems to me it is not damaged at all.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is an adapter for YS interchangeable mount lenses, not for m42.
If i'm not wrong, it should be the same screw as T mount lenses, with the difference that it allows auto aperture mechanism.

It doesn't focus with m42 because it is a proper interchangeable mount, not an adapter, so it has a quite different register distance.

Oh, and since it has the same diameter as m42 but a different thread, do not screw m42's in it, they could get stuck.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buga wrote:
ok) thx a lot) as soon as ițll get myself a proper tool for that
i saw you have a big collection of minolta lens. do you know anything about this adapter ? apparently it would let me use m42 screw mount lens on a minolta md camera. but the problem is that the lens does not focus to infinity. i tried it with helios 44m-6 and this Stein lens.. it seems to me it is not damaged at all.

That's not an M42 adapter, it's a YS Mount for Minolta SR. The YS system was an interchangeable mount used by Sigma, Sun, Polaris and possibly others. It's similar to the manual T2 system (42mm thread but a different pitch to M42), with automatic diaphragm and (sometimes) full aperture metering. There's some information on it here:

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/y-s_mount/ys.htm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx a lot guys! i did screw m42 lens into it, but it didnt focus to infinity,but still it didnțt got stuck. it is still very good to know.
thank you all for such a nice reply) feeilng part of a family right now )

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are welcome. on this forum you can ask anything about the lenses and cameras and lot of people will answer you gladly, you can say it's service with a smile Wink

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes its true. and most important, its for free)