Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Starlight
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Starlight Reply with quote

The opportunities for taking photos are still very limited here. Dark when I leave for work and dark when I get home.
Yesterday i decided to go to a nearby lake I sometimes visit during the weekends and take some night shots. No moon but some light from the stars and the town in the distance.
The lake is frozen over and the temperature was rapidly decreasing. This resulted in some loud cracking sounds from the ice (almost a bit scary in the darkness).
The pics are a bit noisy since the RAW was a little on the dark side.

View from a bridge. Note the trace from an aircraft

I guess that the bright star in the middle is a planet?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess these photos are with very long exposure time?

Bright one could be Venus?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riku wrote:
I guess these photos are with very long exposure time?

Bright one could be Venus?

I forgot the data:
Nikkor 2/35 fully open or one f-stop. The time was 30s which is the longest automatic time on the D70.
I guessed Venus as well but my knowledge about the star map is nothing to write home about.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The horizon appears slightly tilted in no 2 but otherwise thay are good and very different shots

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptainPenguin wrote:
The horizon appears slightly tilted in no 2 but otherwise thay are good and very different shots

Thanks!
I had some problems to determine the the horizon on this one. As I couldn't even see the tripod it was hard to know if it was standing straight. I tried to use some mean value of the tree tops as an horizon but maybe it could have been done better.
On the first one I could use the vertical beams of the bridge to level the picture.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First congratulations on going out and finding some imaginative shots within your limitations.
I think they were well worth it and I hope they will encourage you to do some more.
A few suggestions you may already have thought of yourself.
Use one of the 1-2 million candle power lights and experiment ‘Painting with light’
If its possibly try your car head lights. Subjects like your first shot could look good with some light painted on them, as well as your excellent silhouette shot.
It would be fantastic to see a whole series based on the long cold nights of Scandinavia. It could keep you busy for the next few years!

Painting with light
http://roblesliephotography.blogspot.com/2008/01/painting-with-light.html
Eveningscapes
http://roblesliephotography.blogspot.com/2008/11/highworth.html

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, Thanks for your comments.
Painting with light looks interesting indeed. I have some ideas on how to use the car head light, and it could perhaps be a good idea to acquire a powerful light as well.
Many years ago i did something similar with a photo-flash on a dark field, were the same person could be projected a number of times within the same frame.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I clear forgot to mention flash. it is very easy to produce big scale night time outdoor or indoor set ups with just a single flash and a plan.
Also don't forget multiple exposures you can latter blend for taste and effect.
You can set the camera timer and a thirty sec exposure and run a fair way with your flash unit before the time is out! I do it with church and other interiors often, but I'm a bit slow in doing much with night landscapes.