Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

ST801 SPF... What's next?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: ST801 SPF... What's next? Reply with quote

Hello, I have Fujica ST801 and Pentax SPF with a dozen of M42 lenses and am looking for next SLR. Any comment or suggestion on Canon AE1P or other (with M42 adapter) and why? Budget is under US$100 with one standard 50/1.8 (or 50/1.4) lens. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you want a non M42 mount camera, but with compatibility. Pentax K of course is obvious, but maybe not the best thing.

I haven't done this (yet) but the thing I have been considering: buying a Yashica c/y mount camera. Or a Contax.

The c/y M42 adapter holds the aperture pin down, unlike the K mount adapter. Ergo: no more worries about the lens needing an a/m switch.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster, thanks. Could you specifiy the model? M42 or non-M42 are OK to me onc e I can find the adpater easliy (so might be no to Nikon).
And is there any one can share Canon AE-1 or AE-1P? How about Chinon?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi djmike,
I do not own a Canon AE-1 or AE-1P but I am a proud owner of a Canon AT-1 and A-1. Since my cameras belong to the same series as the ones you are after I feel safe to say they should be both fine cameras. They used to build them like tanks, so if they are in good condition and not over-used should last almost forever. Even if I never tried it's indeed possible to match them to M-42 glass via an adapter which I know it can be found for sale. The only caveat is that you obviously lose the aperture automation and you have therefore to manually stop down. If you are sure you're not going to use FD glass I would go with AE-1 because you can find them for less money. In comparison with AE-1P you're gonna miss only some functions you are only be able to use with dedicated FD mount lenses.
Hope this helps.
Marty.
PS you should also be able to meter in stop-down mode.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like all your lenses (except the Fujinon) will work without the pin depressed. The Chinon and Ricoh cameras as well as Sears-branded cameras are basically Pentax, depending on the model.

Pentax MX + genuine M42 adapter Wink

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for C/Y
Nester has it right.
I have been using m42 with an adapter on Contax and Yashica bodies for years.
Never have had a problem. You can easily find a Yashica FR1 for under $100.
It is basically the same camera as the original RTS but without an LED VF display and mirror lock-up.
My FR1 has had the M42 adapter left in it for over 2 years now. I just use it as a native M42 camera (although it is seldom used at all I must admit Embarassed )

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marty/Ryan/F16SUNSHINE, thanks.
Can any other share the experience of Chinon CE-3?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djmike,

First of all I cannot see the rationale in getting a Canon AE-1 Program, as it's geared towards using FD lenses, with the aperture ring locked at the A (or O for earlier FDs) and let the camera operates the aperture. With M42 and adapter, it is very much against the grain,

If you like automatic exposure with the M42 lenses it would have to be stop-down metering, Chinon and Cosina both had cameras offering this function, and the Yashica AX also did that but in a somewhat more limited manner, Comparing between the Chinon and Cosina implementations, I think Chinon works a little better,

And if it is Chinon that you are after, you need to go for any of three Memotron models, the CE Memotron, CE-II Memotron, and CE-3 Memotron. I had a CE-II since new and used it to good effects but sold it to a friend, still regretting it. The CE-3 was much smaller in size and motor-capable too, but any Memotron would make using your M42 lenses a pleasant experience.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not try Medium-Format?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seele wrote:

And if it is Chinon that you are after, you need to go for any of three Memotron models, the CE Memotron, CE-II Memotron, and CE-3 Memotron. I had a CE-II since new and used it to good effects but sold it to a friend, still regretting it. The CE-3 was much smaller in size and motor-capable too, but any Memotron would make using your M42 lenses a pleasant experience.

Seele, thanks for advice. Chinon is one of my option but it looks few in bid market. We'll see.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lahnet wrote:
Why not try Medium-Format?

Well.... I would love to try this at next phase. it's still costy.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest the Chino CE-4s.

HERES A PIC OF MINE WITH ZEISS BIOTAR MOUNTED.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiralcity wrote:

Gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Spiralcity: Sweet! Love the styling of that Chinon. Cool

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiralcity wrote:

Would that provide for actuating the aperture pin on "Auto" M42 lenses? I don't think so but if anybody has any suggestion... I'll take it. Are there any M42-to-any-bayonet adapters capable of actuating that pin to provide easy operation ?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arzitek wrote:
spiralcity wrote:

Would that provide for actuating the aperture pin on "Auto" M42 lenses? I don't think so but if anybody has any suggestion... I'll take it. Are there any M42-to-any-bayonet adapters capable of actuating that pin to provide easy operation ?

The answer is no. Chinon cameras of the "4" range and later have Pentax K mount and you would need to use an M42-K adapter ring, which doesn't push the aperture pin. The earlier M42 Chinon cameras up to the "3" range actuate the pin like any other standard M42 camera.

My M42-Minolta MD adapter has a lip to push the pin, and of course the M42-Canon EOS lipped adapters are very easy to find these days. I don't know about Contax/Yashica, Canon FD or Olympus M42 adapters. Maybe someone else will answer.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arzitek wrote:
spiralcity wrote:

Just buy an adaptor with the flange in it. Alex sells them here on the forum for 17.00 USD. The Chinon CE-4s is a PK mount camera.

As you can see by my photo, I have an M42 mounted to my camera, and yes, I have the flanged adaptor on the lens which will keep your pin pressed in.

Here's a pic of the adaptor..

Last edited by spiralcity on Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seele wrote:
djmike,
First of all I cannot see the rationale in getting a Canon AE-1 Program, as it's geared towards using FD lenses, with the aperture ring locked at the A (or O for earlier FDs) and let the camera operates the aperture. With M42 and adapter, it is very much against the grain,

I don't understand why AE-1 that has time priority when you got AV-1 that has aperture-priority?