Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Split focusing screen for 6D
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Split focusing screen for 6D Reply with quote

I've seen this Taiwan-based manufacturer:
http://www.focusingscreen.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_135&products_id=1201

Has anyone used this company's screens before?

I notice however some of the Canon OEM screens for 1D are actually much cheaper. Can the Canon Ec-B (designed for 1D) be used on the 6D?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Ec-A, very good quality product and it retains the auto-focus points and spot metering indicator.

It bought the microprism instead of the split-screen because I find it more useful.
The microprism is kind of small, but the overall matt glass of the Ec screen also makes focussing easier and the viewfinder is nice and bright.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_zeel wrote:
I have the Ec-A, very good quality product and it retains the auto-focus points and spot metering indicator.

It bought the microprism instead of the split-screen because I find it more useful.
The microprism is kind of small, but the overall matt glass of the Ec screen also makes focussing easier and the viewfinder is nice and bright.

So you're using it on a 6D? I'm just trying to confirm that the Ec series can physically be mounted on 6D without problems.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. I ordered their micro prism focussing screen without grid for Canon 6D:
http://www.focusingscreen.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_135&products_id=1202

It comes with a good documentation (in addition to what they offer on their website, and do forgive the imperfections in their use of English) and it's easy to install, I only have to adjust the alignment because I have minor front focus now.
The Canon 6D is especially suited for focussing screen exchange, it's more accessible than the 5D.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, so what you have is Canon Ec-A and using it on 6D, or the focusingscreen.com screen for 6D?

Canon seems a lot cheaper, first time I've seen OEM part be cheaper than alt ...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I wrote above, I have one from focussingscreen.com.

They use the Canon precision matte Ec-S screen and add either the microprism or split-screen.
That explains why it's more expensive than the Canon OEM.

edit: I now see that Canon also produces the Ec-A screens with microprism, however, these are only for the 1D (and perhaps some other models). I guess that the people at focusingscreen.com adapt these screen to be applicable with 6D and other models for which Canon doesn't make microprism or split-screen screens.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday arrived my Canon Eg-D Precision Matte Focusing Screen for my 6D. But currently I use 24-105 f4 and it will be pointless until I jump for some 2.8 like canon 24-70 II (too expensive). I m waiting to Sigma show us little bit of it's magic with some interesting zoom 2.8.
So my all manual lenses will wait little bit more.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To avoid any confusion, the 6D takes 5DII screens. I use the EG-S screen which has no prism but does show true depth of field with fast lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy an old Canon EF-M and take the screen out, lots of people upgraded their 5D and 5DII that way.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Buy an old Canon EF-M and take the screen out, lots of people upgraded their 5D and 5DII that way.

but that screen will not fit a 6D, right?