Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sony (former Minolta) Reflex 500/8 with A850 and A77
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Sony (former Minolta) Reflex 500/8 with A850 and A77 Reply with quote

As the tittle says I've recently got myself a new toy, Not the best long tele-lens, but it's unique since it's an AF one. Needs lot of light, and even with IBIS, firm hands Smile Had to bump up ISO, so all the shots have ISO 800+

A850

A77

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the best long tele?? I have seen worse! these shots are far better than i could have imagined from this lens. I have seen some for sale , and they go for pretty good money, but never thought much of them (don't know why), but now i know why people are willing to pay for it!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
Not the best long tele?? I have seen worse! these shots are far better than i could have imagined from this lens. I have seen some for sale , and they go for pretty good money, but never thought much of them (don't know why), but now i know why people are willing to pay for it!!

There are some aspects of this lens that can be a deal-breaker. The donuts in bokeh, fixed F8 apperture - you really need good lightning conditions. Also the fact is that a good classic lens in the range of 400mm will be better with the final images up-scaled or cropped to match the field of view of this 500mm.
Strong point of this lens - it's weight and size. AF speed is on the slow side

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.8 is lovely.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yebisu wrote:
No.8 is lovely.

+1. Great results from the lens. They all seem quite sharp. And the rendering in the portrait shots is not too bad either considering donut bokeh etc.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressive pictures, this lens has a good reputation and it's easy to see why. It's also why I bought one when I saw it at the right price a while back, but its sitting in my lens case pretty much unused. I have got Minolta AF film bodies, but I prefer to shoot film with MF lenses and bodies, I would love to use this AF Mirror lens on my Sony NEX.

So, I could buy the NEX adapters - LA-EA1 or LA-EA2, or buy a Sony DSLR. I don't want to sell this lens without trying it properly, I might just like it and keep it - and the more pictures I see from it the more I like it. "Help!" Confused

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens probably gets some advantage not credited to the optics themseleves, due to AF (try focusing 500mm mirror.. ay) and SSS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't even know af 500/8 reflexes existed. Very good results though.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buerokratiehasser wrote:
This lens probably gets some advantage not credited to the optics themseleves, due to AF (try focusing 500mm mirror.. ay) and SSS

While sony claims 2-4 full stops of image stabilization (Super Steady Shot), to be totally sincere I didn't find it effective at this focal length - even at 1/1000 you have to struggle to get sharp results hand-held. A bit offtopic - I found Olympus EM-5 5-axis much more effective, I had a 75-300 and could very good results with it at it's max focal length (600 equiv.)