Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sony + Minolta 35 f/1.8, 85 f/2, 200 f/2.8, Tamron 300 f/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 6:54 pm    Post subject: Sony + Minolta 35 f/1.8, 85 f/2, 200 f/2.8, Tamron 300 f/2.8 Reply with quote

Hi all, new member here. Although I came across this website a few times while looking for info about some lenses and it has been very helpful. Most recently I was interested in the Minolta MDIII 24mm f/2.8 as I found one for sale locally, after some reading I jumped on it, for CHF 75.- in great condition with both caps and the sunshade it looked like a great deal, it should be in my possession in a few days.

However, I thought I would take the opportunity to share a few of my favorite shots made with the Minolta lenses I already have. All pics are JPEGs, unedited or slightly cropped / adjusted in Windows photo editor ( Adobe is dead to me as I'm not interested in renting software but I should probably get Sony Capture One to properly edit my shots.)

I noticed that most threads are about a specific lens, I hope you don't mind me merging these, please tell me if it's not OK and I'll create separate threads. I didn't have enough space to properly list all the lenses in the title.

My 35mm f/1.8 MC W.Rokkor-HH is probably my most used lens on the NEX-5, I really love this one:

Since I bought a used full frame A9, I can use it for landscape stuff too:

I got the MD-Zoom 35-70mm f/3.5 macro bundled with an old SRT-101 and other lenses, at first I did let it sit on a shelf as it didn't seem very well built compared to my Minolta primes (my copy even has some play in the barrel, I don't know if it's normal). However, one day I was curious about trying some macro shots and it was my only lens with this function... I was quite impressed by the results, a few examples taken on NEX-5:

The 85mm f/2 MD Rokkor is also a cool lens, these two shots were taken on NEX-5 as well, I didn't try it yet on my A9 like many other lenses ( I've been lazy about photography lately but I'm getting back into it.)

The 200mm f/2.8 MD Tele-Rokkor may be my most expensive Minolta lens, I got it from KEH for around $300 but while listed as "bargain" condition, it looks like new and I managed to find a 300s tele converter in great shape for peanuts locally. All in all, worth every penny considering its build/optical quality. Two shots on NEX-5 again, the second one with the 300s.

I had never heard of the Tamron Adaptall system until I came across a listing for a 300mm F/2.8 Tamron SP, at CHF 260.- with both the 200F and 140F tele-converters I had to get it. By far the biggest lens I ever had in my hands since I had the chance to play with some rented Zeiss Ultra Primes on a music video years ago. It's built like a tank, up to the color on my 60B version. My only complaints are that the focus ring is not as smooth as my Minoltas and it's prone to CA wide open but that's an awesome piece of glass and metal nonetheless. Both the biological and mechanical squirrels were shot on NEX-5 and the last pictures on A9:

Thanks for reading, cheers!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome mouks!

Nice work! Thanks for sharing here. Starfields are brutal lens test, yes? Smile

Where are you located?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Visualopsins, thanks! Yeah, I don't have much experience in night photography so it's also a brutal skill test, the exposure time was probably a bit too long, not easy to find the right balance. But I like how the stars have some funky shapes, especially in the corners, some look like UFOs or galaxies haha. I guess it shows some distorsion from the lens and the vignette is also obvious but in this case I like it. I live in Switzerland.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great images mouks! Like 1 small Like 1 small

Nice to see another Minolta aficionado join, welcome!

I am a Minolta Rokkor collector myself and have those same lenses, and also that Tamron 300/2.8.

I'm impressed with your focusing skills with that Tamron; it is not the most smooth focusing lens in the world to put it mildly! It shows its age re. LoCAs, but it is a very good performer and a good contemporary complement to the Rokkor lenses, since Minolta never put an MDIII 300/2.8 into production (there was a prototype).

The MC 35/1.8 is also one of my personal favourites.

You won't be disappointed by that MDIII 24/2.8 by the way, it's a good one.

Re. Adobe, I'm with you on that one, especially since the latest Adobe saga which I thought was entirely predictable. I still have a few perpetual older Photoshop licenses running on a few of my computers, but once they are gone I will be looking for something else to do my PP.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks RokkorDoctor! I came across some of your posts while researching infos about some lenses, thanks for sharing your knowledge! I have never heard of this MDIII 300mm f/2.8 prototype, do you know why they didn't release it?

Focusing with the Tamron is quite tricky indeed, it may have more to do with luck, peaking assist and the 20 i/s of the Sony A9 than my skills, I feel like I'm cheating compared to those who used it on film cameras with no focus help!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouks wrote:
Thanks RokkorDoctor! I came across some of your posts while researching infos about some lenses, thanks for sharing your knowledge! I have never heard of this MDIII 300mm f/2.8 prototype, do you know why they didn't release it?

This is all I know about it:

http://www.artaphot.ch/minolta-sr/objektive/178-minolta-300mm-f28-apo-prototyp

That is from Stephan's website (artaphot), another mflenses forum member. Maybe he knows more.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting, thanks!