Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sony Alpha and adapters
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Sony Alpha and adapters Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a short question. Is it correct that only M42 lenses (beside Hasselblad or other 6x6 or 6x7 lenses) can be used with adapters without additional glass ? All other need adapters with glass.

Thanks for your assistance.

Wink

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta AF (now Sony alpha) has a fairly long register of 44.5mm, just 2mm less than notoriously long Nikon F, so there are hardly any 35mm SLR mounts left that could be attached with a externally stacked adapter. On the other hand, it is a wide throat bayonet, so internally fitting adapters are theoretically possible - but that will depend on the mirror clearance, which probably is camera dependent.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More or less yes you can get adaptall to alpha and t2 as far as i know

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamron-adaptall-Lens-Sony-Alpha-Minolta-Adapter-/150360393471?pt=UK_Photography_CameraLenses_Lens_caps_hoods_adaptors_ET&hash=item23022d86ff#ht_2525wt_1165

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have M42-MA, Adaptall 2-MA, Pentacon-MA adapters. (MA=Minolta/Sony A mount)
There are also some Leitax options for MA.

Last edited by my_photography on Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of vintage small format lenses, only M42 and those that can be adapted to M42 (e.g. Adaptall-2), yes.

Personally I have also swapped the mount on many other lenses, e.g. I've converted C/Y, Nikon, Olympus and Minolta MC to M42, and Minolta MC and Canon FL directly to Alpha. (I know some people on this forum dislike conversions, but in my opinion it's just an adapter that's somewhat more complex to install. The lens is not “butchered” in the process.)

Meanwhile the good thing about Sony Alpha is that there are no mirror clearance issues on full frame with any lens that I've tested (and they are many), so actually out of the lenses that I personally own/find interesting I can use a lot more on Sony FF than I could on Canon FF. So on full frame I can highly recommend the Sony Alpha system.

On APS-C I would suggest the Sony NEX instead, you get the same sensor etc but can adapt pretty much any lens.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your comments.

Background is indeed that I´m thinking to buy a new Sony. I prefer more a "normal" cam like the Alpha 77 but I believe that the Nex 7 is the better solution regarding different MF lenses.
Good idea with Leitax. I have forgotten him. Embarassed

Wink

Last edited by Rolf on Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leitax conversion is great for SONY. I have used both Elmarit-R and C/Y lenses and they sit perfectly on the camera.

Otherwise M42 and Adaptall are the common possibilities as you already know. For medium format lenses there is P6.
I also have a Cirrus adapter for Mamiya 645 lenses that is okay (but my sample is unfortunately badly produced and misses out on infinity focus, very annoying). It is also a little bit loose on the camera, which can be fixed with some paper shims in the locking hole. I also think Hasselblad adapters are available for SONY.

I have several different cheap (China made) M42->SONY adapters and they mostly sit somewhat loose on the camera. All but one allows infinity focus, be aware that shiny metal adapters often are to thick for proper infinity focusing (but it is possible to machine them down for the handy man).
Some adapters (mostly shiny metal ones again) have a flange on the circumference that obstructs some lenses (with large bottom diameter) to mount correctly for infinity focusing, or locks the focusing ring from movement. All black anodized aluminum adapters I have tried works for infinity focus.
The China made P6 adapter has a great fit on the camera, but initially missed out on infinity focus. I machined it down and now it works great.

/T

Rolf wrote:
Many thanks for your comments.

Background is indeed that I´m thinking to buy a new Sony. I prefer more a "normal" cam like the Alpha 77 but I believe that the Nex 7 is the better solution regarding different MF lenses.
Good idea with Leitax. I have forgotten him. Embarassed

Wink