Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Some neat 1950s cameras
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:58 am    Post subject: Some neat 1950s cameras Reply with quote

I was ramming around on eBay looking for a specific lens, and one of the sellers has a whole lot of old 616 film cameras from the 40s and 50s for sale under $10. I doubt film can still be gotten for any of these, but I wanted to post this link in case someone here likes these old cameras.

http://photography.shop.ebay.com/Cameras-Photo-/625/i.html?_catref=1&_fln=1&_ipg=25&_ssn=at610&_trksid=p3911.c0.m282

That seller IS NOT me not do I have any connection to them, just FYI.

David

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Argus looks like most unergonomic camera I ever seen. Didn't know it was legal to export them from U.S. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, the C3, otherwise known as The Brick. Probably one of the ugliest cameras ever made, but man-o-man, it sure must have been a hit during its time because they are so plentiful here still that you could just about use them for building material. As in bricks. Cool

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell you what, I would love to have such an Argus C3!
But here in Germany they are very hard to get and shipping costs spoil the fun of buying one in the States...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, The Brick! And at that price, mine are almost worth selling, finally!

I have read that The Brick (Argus C3, various evolutions) is the most popular 135 camera ever made; that it kept 35mm alive in USA during the 1930's-40's-50's; that it is virtually indestructible and easily maintained; that it was the preferred tool of several noted photographers; that is was beloved in USA because it looked so 'technical'; et cetera.

I will sell my C3's with their original USA-made Cintar 50/3.5's, but I will keep the post-WWII lenses made in W. Germany. I've adapted the tiny Enna Tele-Sandmar 100/4.5 to Pentax PK mount, and am still looking to adapt the tinier Enna Sandmar 35/4.5 and much larger Steinheil Cintagon 100/3.5 (that one is for the Argus C44). I don't see any way to adapt the native Argus Cintar 50/3.5's, which are probably decent Tessars similar to the Industar-50/3.5.

Why sell my C3's? I don't like the gears. Wink

To ship one to Germany would probably cost ~US$21 (USPS 1st Class Mail International). That would be for camera with lens and leather case alone. My other, including original box (beat-up) and flash reflector, would ship for ~US$31. Add US$19 for the camera/lens/case and we have a deal!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the other Range Finder window the round one inside the focus wheel?

How many you got them for sale?

EDIT: don't know what the correct spelling of rangefinder was on that era. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, the Argus Cintar 50/3.5 was actually a Leitz Elmar clone, not a Tessar.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
As I understand it, the Argus Cintar 50/3.5 was actually a Leitz Elmar clone, not a Tessar.

Oops, you are correct. I blame my bad neurons.

kansalliskala wrote:

I have two, of different vintages, with slightly different lenses. The older one with the case, flash, and box has a Cintar lens. The newer one, with case only, has a Coated Cintar lens. I don't have time right now, but I will post pictures and full descriptions within 24 hours.

Quote:

Yes. On both of these, the rangefinder has two front windows; a rectangle next to the viewfinder window, and the other mirror in a round window inside the geared focus wheel.

Quote:
EDIT: don't know what the correct spelling of rangefinder was on that era. Smile

Does it matter? Wink The text on the tattered box makes no mention of that, but merely claims: America's most popular 35mm camera. And indeed it was!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:

That makes sense, being a 50/3.5 and all. I wonder if it is as sharp as the Elmar? I must confess that I've never used a C3, and can't says that I've ever seen any pics taken by one, but I do know that the Elmar 3.5 is an underrated optic, capable of excellent images.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first four sample shots are with the Cintar 50/3.5

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's not so odd that you cannot spell rangefinder as back then they used runes?

Smile

Doug

kansalliskala wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nemesis101 wrote:
Well it's not so odd that you cannot spell rangefinder as back then they used runes?

And sometime they runed the cameras too. Cool
But both of mine are labeled RANGE FINDER.

OK, here are my two Bricks. Some people name their cameras, so I'll call these Old Brick and Older Brick.

First, Older Brick. This has the original 12x9x4-inch (10x23x31 cm) box, a bit tattered. Inside are the camera in its leather case, and a side-mount flash. Flash shows no trauma. Leather case is intact except for the back snap, and is a bit scuffed. Camera looks to be in VERY GOOD condition; only signs of wear are a little paint loss on top, and slightest internal corrosion in non-critical areas; otherwise, no trauma. Shutter operates but I can't guarantee accuracy. Shutter settings are T-B-10-20-30-50-100-200-300. Camera back has a "Weston Film Speed" dial. Viewfinder and rangefinder windows are both clear and bright. Camera serial number is # 0363744.

The lens is af f/3.5 50mm Argus Cintar. F-stops are 3.5-4.5-6.3-9-12-18; aperture moves smoothly. Lens has no serial number. Optics look pretty clear, just a little dust that I see. The coupled "Range Finder" works but is a little stiff; maybe it was born that way!

OLDER BRICK:

Then there is the newer Old Brick. No box, no flash, lower shipping weight! Leather case is totally intact with slightest scuffing. Inside the case lid is a COLOR-MATIC SETTINGS chart. Camera looks to be in VERY GOOD++ condition, with no visible trauma nor corrosion anyshere. Shutter operates, but I guarantee nothing. Shutter settings are T-B-10-25-50-100-300. Viewfinder window is clear and bright; rangefinder window is a little murky, should be cleaned. Camera serial number is # 1586319.

The lens is af f/3.5 50mm Argus Coated Cintar. F-stops are 3.5-4.5-5.6-8-11-16; aperture moves smoothly. Lens has no serial number. Optics look very clear, hardly an dust that I see. The coupled "Range Finder" works just like the Older Brick does.

(newer) OLD BRICK:

Oops, that last shot looks a little distorted. I'm too tired to fix it now. If anyone is interested, PM me and I will put more pictures online externally. Or just tell me where to stuff these. I am runed!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These look like they belong in a James Bond flick.