Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Some 200mm lenses compared
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject: Some 200mm lenses compared Reply with quote

Here are some 200mm lenses I had :

Good surprise of the Soligor 200/3.5, I was not expecting such sharpness/bokeh combo from a "noname" lens
Other lenses do weel in this comparison, Sadly I had aperture problems with the 200/2.5 during the test...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the test, CarbonR. Such comparisons are always interesting, but I know how tedious they can be to compile.

My own SMC Pentax 200mm f/2.5 has been a disappointment to me because of low contrast - apparently due to internal flare.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used it several times on my K100D at f/2.5 and it was never dispaointing ! Wink

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good to hear that, CarbonR. Smile
Perhaps I'm too critical - or maybe I have an inferior copy..?

The f/2.5 does get good reviews at pentaxforums.com:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-K-200mm-F2.5-Lens.html

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

55 wrote:
It's good to hear that, CarbonR. Smile
Perhaps I'm too critical - or maybe I have an inferior copy..?

The f/2.5 does get good reviews at pentaxforums.com:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-K-200mm-F2.5-Lens.html

Have you checked it for haze shining a bright light through?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:

Have you checked it for haze shining a bright light through?

Idea That's a good suggestion. I usually do a flashlight test when I buy a lens, but it's been a few years so I checked my 200 f/2.5 again:
And it's clear. In fact, it's one of the cleanest older lenses I have.

It may be I'm judging my 200 too harshly. It isn't poor, but I'm disappointed that it doesn't have the same level of contrast as my Pentax SMC "K" 135mm f/2.5.