Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sollie s/n coding mystery
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:08 am    Post subject: Sollie s/n coding mystery Reply with quote

Here is what I could find on Sollie coding:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/soligor_mf/discuss/72157625238376083/

No help to me as my lens s/n has the "M" prefix. Does anyone know what that signifies?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been disgusted at great length several times, try doing a google search with the addition of site:mflenses.com

Personally, I don't understand the obsession with trying to work out who made what old cheapo third party lenes. There were upwards of 20 lens makers in Japan and they seem to have shared suppliers for barrel parts so guessing by appearance is exactly that - guesswork.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 135 / 2.8 chrome ears preset lens is almost certainly a Tokina, and that has an M prefix.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92596521@N07/8667015028/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92596521@N07/8667015074/in/photostream

I found these pic's on flickr the other day, and except for the chrome eared stop down ring the Tokina is identical to the Soligor. Not that it solves the mystery of the M prefix.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chrome ears are a Soligor/Miranda feature and lenses made by Sun, Tokina and others all appear with them.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've got a bunch of them, some Tokina and the rest are Sun or some other manufacturer. Very variable in performance, but the 135 Tokina is very good - but heavy.
Obviously Soligor had the buying power to specify a style of lens from different manufacturers.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'M" is still a mystery. More info: http://forum.mflenses.com/soligor-12-8-f28mm-21and-versions-t30866,start,180.html

I like the '17nn' tokinas. Laughing

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
This has been disgusted at great length several times

Your Freudian slip is showing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Personally, I don't understand the obsession with trying to work out who made what old cheapo third party lenes.

Because it's interesting to some of us Wink Plus, it's nice to link the occasional gem to others with a different name...which may be available cheaper Smile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much to everyone who responded. All of your comments were helpful and are appreciated.

So many caution signs notwithstanding, I bid on the mystery lens anyway. It obviously has a severe case of fungus. This might, or might not, be something I can put right. And of course, as a mystery lens of God only knows what pedigree, it might not even be worth the effort to put it right. The cosmetic condition of the lens, though, seemed OK. And I can use the T2 X M42 adapter. Also, call me crazy, but I like T-mount lenses. And while it would be nice if this antique had even a tiny amount of coating, you simply cannot have everything.

All of that said, I bid but: not high. My insanity has limits. As things transpired, though, my meager bid was sufficient to win the lens regardless.

For anyone wanting to view this humble old "seen better days" Sollie, here is a link:

Click here to see on Ebay

If you do bother to view this auction, please ignore the seller's hyperbole. I did, I assure you.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly the same as mine, the serial no of mine is M163924 so yours is only 13,561 older. did they really make that many ? I guess they did if they manufactured for a few years and sold internationally. We're used to shorter production runs now as development keeps up with demand for newer and better goods.
This was one of the first MF lenses I bought to use on my K10, I paid £5 for it in a junk shop 6 or 7 years ago and I got some really good results from it, and I still drag it out to play occasionally on the NEX.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great news! Thanks. Perhaps there will be hope for this lens after all . . . . if I can clean the fungus out of it.

I searched some more in effort to decipher the "M" prefix. No luck. Sad