Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

So what's your favorite lens for street photography?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: So what's your favorite lens for street photography? Reply with quote

As for me, the MC Rokkor-X 50/1.4 is my favorite at the moment.. I love the glowing feel and the color reproduction. But I don't like to get caught taking photos of people so I might opt for something longer in the future.

What's your favorite?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For street pics, 28 or 35 mm lens. My favorite the summicron M 2/35 (first 8 elements) and the summilux M 1,4/35 oldest version.

For people pics in the street, something into the 90/105 mm. Perhaps the 100/105 are the ideal. The best I used was the apo kinoptic 2/100, but for street use can be very heavy and high. The minolta MC 2/100, the nikkor 2,5/105, some macros 100 mm (two uses in one lens), etc.

In personal preference, and not only for street pics, I use a 24, 58 and 100 mmlenses. Near the 70% are taken by the 58 mm, 25 by the 100 (all the people ones), and few by the 24 mm.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: So what's your favorite lens for street photography? Reply with quote

vanylapep wrote:
But I don't like to get caught taking photos of people so I might opt for something longer in the future.

Use a wide angle and put them off centre. They don't even think you are pointing the camera at them...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite lens was Nikon AF DC-Nikkor 105mm f2 (sold it month ago and I still regret it)... Fast and dead on AF with amazing control of bokeh. Number 1! YMMW

Loved Konica Hexanon AR 135mm 3.2 and 57mm 1.4 as well as other Konica's (28mm, 35mm, 50mm) followed by set of takumars (28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 55mm)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, I already own a Nikkor 105/2.5 AiS . Is that the best lens at that FL?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: So what's your favorite lens for street photography? Reply with quote

Basilisk wrote:
vanylapep wrote:
But I don't like to get caught taking photos of people so I might opt for something longer in the future.

Use a wide angle and put them off centre. They don't even think you are pointing the camera at them...

But I just don't like the "distortion" of short FL..

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanylapep wrote:

The 105 DC-Nikkor I was refering is highly specialized lens as it has feature to control bokeh, front or rear and is totally different than Ai-S and not to forget it is auto focus lens which I prefer in situation like this... I used that lens for portraits mainly as well as regular 105mm FL and still is my number 1 for that kind of photography.

EDIT: do not forget that I used this lens on full frame Nikon...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually I use the CV 15/4.5 and the Leica-R Summicron 50/2, sometimes the 19/2.8 sigma

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanylapep wrote:

Into the best league.

In 105 mm. lenses, one of the two or three versions (NAI, Ai and AI-s, said to be different rendering), may be the best.

But into a wide view, not like Leica macro 100 lens, nor Minolta MC 2/100, nor Minolta Macro 100, but it's very good lens. One to have.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current favourite street lens has to be a SMC Pentax 28mm F3.5 (the 52mm pre M version). It lives on my K01. It's very sharp throughout the frame and is very resistant to flare. Best of all is the colors it produces. Not wholly authentic but very beautiful colors.

I also recently acquired a Konica Hexanon AR 24mm F2.8 to be used with my Sony 5N but I doubt that combination will work for the street shooting I do. I zone focus and shoot from the chest or side and so need a well balanced camera/lens combination. My Contax G 28mm Carl Zeiss Biogon is a better match..

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's got to be the Nikon 35/1.4 AI-S for me. Great field of view and excellent detail at f4

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great topic I'm also interested in the lens choices for street photography.

For me I try to make it smaller and so often the lens is not longer than 135mm unless it's a mirror lens, just to not make people feel intimidated or uncomfortable. But that's just me.

For now my choice is the Rokkor 35-70/3.5 which is 52.5-105mm equivalent on APSC.
I'm planning to get a lens turbo and will try it out with this lens, might be a great combo for street Smile.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Nikkor 24/2.8 for the purpose (I'm on DX), but a tele is often useful as well, especially if I don't want to be seen taking pictures Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

norman j shearer wrote:
My Contax G 28mm Carl Zeiss Biogon is a better match..

Do you use your Biogon with in AF or MF mode?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I most often have a 28mm f3.5 on for street photography, because it's just wide enough but not so wide that it would distort faces too badly. Agree the 24mm f2.8 is great on DX.