Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

SMC Tak 50mm 1.4 Thread Size?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 2:08 am    Post subject: SMC Tak 50mm 1.4 Thread Size? Reply with quote

Hello folks, new guy here with a couple questions...

1.) I'm picking up a pristine SMC Super Takumar 50mm 1.4 from a local Pawn Shop in a couple of days. Unfortunately, there is no front or back caps on this guy. This lens being so popular, I figure somebody is bound to know the thread size on this lens.

2.) I am also picking up a Sonnar 135mm 3.5. Now apparently the serial number is 115,xxx. I was trying to look up the serial number to determine how old this guy is, and am having very little luck. One source on the internet was suggesting this lens was made in the 1910's-20's Shocked Wondering if anyone has a more definitive answer for me.

Well, that's about it. Hope to learn more from here as time goes by.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 2:18 am    Post subject: Welcome Reply with quote

I am fairly new guy too.. The folks on this forum are really helpful and know their MF lenses... Welcome to a great forum...

I have the S-M-C tak 50 1.4 with a 49mm front thread... And of course any M42 screw cap for the back.

Last edited by Gus Helios on Sat May 02, 2009 6:22 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome ancient. Enjoy your stay

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: SMC Tak 50mm 1.4 Thread Size? Reply with quote

ancientsanskrit wrote:
Hello folks, new guy here with a couple questions...

1.) I'm picking up a pristine SMC Super Takumar 50mm 1.4 from a local Pawn Shop in a couple of days. Unfortunately, there is no front or back caps on this guy. This lens being so popular, I figure somebody is bound to know the thread size on this lens.

2.) I am also picking up a Sonnar 135mm 3.5. Now apparently the serial number is 115,xxx. I was trying to look up the serial number to determine how old this guy is, and am having very little luck. One source on the internet was suggesting this lens was made in the 1910's-20's Shocked Wondering if anyone has a more definitive answer for me.

Well, that's about it. Hope to learn more from here as time goes by.

Welcome!

1) Don't know. I don't have it. I suppose 49 or 52mm
2) Made after 1975 I guess around 1980.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's 49mm

almost all the pentax primes of that era up to the 135/3.5 use 49mm filter threads (the 28/3.5, 35/3.5, 50/1.4, 135/3.5 at least, i don't know about the 85/1.9 or the 105/2.Cool

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as mentioned it is a 49mmm thread.

this is one thing I like about my numerous Takumars from 28mm to 150mm they all use the same 49mm filter thread and I can use the same front caps on all of them ( I do not have the 85mm which I believe has a bigger sized filter thread )

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 85 is 58mm filter thread Wink

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help, guys/gals.

Well, I picked up the Takumar lens today. It was attached to an older Spotmatic. Looks like the thing was just sitting there for ages, as it was caked with dust. The lens is pristine, no yellowing/hazing from the speculated radioactive element used in these lenses.

This being my first MF lens, I must say, the len's build quality is a thing of sheer beauty. This thing is built like a tank, and the focusing is silky smooth for a lens pushing 40-50 years.

In regards to the 135mm, I figured a lens from the 1910's/20's would be nowhere near that condition. I've heard very good raves about these lenses. I should be receiving the M42->EOS adapter along with the 135mm in about a week; can't wait.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, those Takumars are really built to the highest standards. Optical quality is also there - your first MF purchase may be just the beginning Smile