Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

SMC Pentax-M 50mm f:1.7,Vivitar MC 28mm f:2.8..2 lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:01 am    Post subject: SMC Pentax-M 50mm f:1.7,Vivitar MC 28mm f:2.8..2 lenses Reply with quote

Hello all,

Please accept my apologies beacause lately I've got more work to do, home too. Just small posts, not to be forgotten Wink
Yesterday I picked up from the postal office a package, containing 2 lenses. I was lucky to win this one. It contained two lenses: a smc Pentax-M 50mm f:1.7 (+both caps +UV filter + lens hood) like Carsten's and a Vivitar MC 28mm f:2.8 (+ back cap + circular polariser - 49mm). I has hunting the Pentax mainly because I've got the Chinon 28mm. I want to replace the Chinon 50mm f:1.7 which I sold it as faulty. Yes , the aperture ring broke (its plastic) Sad . The 28mm Chinon has a metal aperture ring even they seem to be from the same generation.
Anyway I'll sell one of the 28mm but first I'll test the Vivitar. It has no serial numer on it (not on the front, and I didn't check elsewhere), the focusing barel its made of plastic! but the aperture ring its metal. The good thing is that it has KA Pentax mount, so it can be used just like a AF lens (all exposure modes and correct exposure with the camera) just having to focus manually. The other lens from the package I think it doesn't need introduction Smile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cosmin. Congrats for the new lenses, I wait nice samples from your beautiful city.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look forward to seeing the results.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vivitar 28mm sounds like a Cosina made version...The serial# should be on the side I'm not sure of it's performance though as I don't have one. I do have the Cosina made Vivitar 19mm F3.8 & it's not too bad considering what I paid for it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Yes, its Cosina made, heaving the serial number on the aperturure ring starting with "9" ( http://www.cameraquest.com/VivLensManuf.htm ). Its like this one: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1417/1433365961_9a40ae5dce_o.jpg

Well, I was very lucky. I mounted the lens on the Pentax K100D not beeing aware that the lens is in fact a PK/AR one, so it has the RICOH PIN ! too -see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentax_K_mount#R-K_mount . I want to say that it did not stuck in the AF mechanism placed on the mount (like Nikon AF one- not AF-S). I took the mount down and removed the pin. A 2-3 minutes job.
I hope to be back thos weekend with samples.

PS. Yes, this lens too has 5 aperture blades.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the the two 28mm I own:

Hope to find some free time in the weekend for testing them.
One shot from the Vivitar 28mm (wide open) - see EXIF (yes, because the it is has KA mount yhe camera records the lens's aperture too)

and the 6Mpx file:
http://cosmin_m.sitesled.com/equipment/28mm/IMGP2128.JPG

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cosmin,
Congrats for these nice lenses!.
I'm behind a Pentax-M 50mm 1.7 like yours, but up to now I've got no luck.
The 28mm are strange beasts, difficult to focus on a dSLR. I'm not quite happy with my Cosinon 28mm, I hope yours not to be the same as mine.
In the future I'll be looking for a replacement, so I look forward to see your experience with the Vivitar. F
rom the first shot it seems much better than my Cosinon...

Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.
I fact I was searchig for the Pentax 1.7. I bought both from the same seller as a package and the price was about 30 GBP, shipping included more or less like a single Pentax 1.7 , usually. Probably I'll sell the Vivitar, but first I would like to take some shots.
You could try on ebay.de (from where I bought mine) to find the Pentax 1.7 (the M version) and ask for shipping even those sellers which states on the auction's header " Ships to: Germany " I was lucy and the seller from which I bought the 2 lenses didn't modify this to " Ships to: Worldwide / or Europe". I used Google translation for questions in german, because , even if I took a german language course back in 2002 I can't handle it.
Anyway, good luck.