Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

SMC Pentax-A 100mm 2.8 Macro- Good lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:56 pm    Post subject: SMC Pentax-A 100mm 2.8 Macro- Good lens? Reply with quote

Hey guys. I have a seller on hand who has a 100mm 2.8 Pentax-A...and I believe he has the macro version. However, I'm not sure he realizes that it's the Macro version and has price compared with a regular 100mm 2.8. Therefore, there is a small chance that I might get it at a really good sub 200 dollar price, and it seems to be a rather valuable lens. The last eBay listing sold for $500 buy it now. So even at the off chance that the gentleman knows what he has and ends up asking $300 or so, would it still be a good investment, as he said that it is in mint condition? Seems pretty rare, so not sure how often I'd get a chance to buy it at such a price, even though I was not particularly seeking out the lens. A few of the reviews I read seem good, but nothing gives me more peace of mind than my fellow MFlenses users giving me their expert advice and opinion. Thanks to anyone in advance for their response! cheers.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pricewise and from point of rareness alone: go for it.
you can still sell, if you shouldn't be lucky with its incredible qualities Wink

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SMC-A 100/2.8 is the same optically as the SMC-M 100/2.8 which I used to have. It's a nice lens but, as you'd expect, no better optically than any of its top-name contemporaries. However, it's pretty small and light, which can be good qualities if you dislike carrying heavy kit. Not sure how USA prices compare with UK but the current exchange rate makes that $200 about £125, which I guess is fair for a mint condition one here.

I always felt my 100/2.8 SMC-M was a little lacking in 'bite', but it produced some nice Kodachromes even so.

I can't recall if there ever was an SMC-A 100/2.8 Macro - it comes to mind that their first lens of that specification was the AF version, but my memory could be sadly mistaken. No doubt others here will have clearer memories Smile

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hasan wrote:
pricewise and from point of rareness alone: go for it.
you can still sell, if you shouldn't be lucky with its incredible qualities Wink

I am waiting for a response, I hope he will get back to me. I realize since he is not selling it at a good website or anything of the likes, he would not command a premium price, and it might be worth the "investment". Thanks for the advice Smile

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
The SMC-A 100/2.8 is the same optically as the SMC-M 100/2.8 which I used to have. It's a nice lens but, as you'd expect, no better optically than any of its top-name contemporaries. However, it's pretty small and light, which can be good qualities if you dislike carrying heavy kit. Not sure how USA prices compare with UK but the current exchange rate makes that $200 about £125, which I guess is fair for a mint condition one here.

I always felt my 100/2.8 SMC-M was a little lacking in 'bite', but it produced some nice Kodachromes even so.

I can't recall if there ever was an SMC-A 100/2.8 Macro - it comes to mind that their first lens of that specification was the AF version, but my memory could be sadly mistaken. No doubt others here will have clearer memories Smile

It seems like a good lens. The thing is, there is a Pentax-A 100mm 2.8 Macro, and there is only one current eBay listing for buy it now option for $695, as opposed to about only 200+ for the non-macro version. ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pentax-A-pentax-A-100mm-F-2-8-f2-8-MACRO-SMC-Manual-Focus-Lens-from-JAPAN-40231-/231550899457?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35e9825501 ) and the previous one was sold for $500. That, and you doubting it existence, leads me to believe that it might be rather rare and a good resale opportunity after a couple months of useage.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-A-100mm-F2.8-Macro-Lens.html
http://cannonfastreviews.com/pentax-a-100mm-f2-8-smc-macro/

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 100 macro would go nicely in my SMC K kit, kinda pricy, but good macro's tend to go for good money, and I'm trying to hold off on lens buying this year.... Plus I have a Leica R 100 APO, I think I can live without it. Rolling Eyes
But if you could get it for under $400, it could end up a permanent resident in your bag.