Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Smartphone photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you adjust smartphone aperture for aperture priority mode?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

There is no aperture adjustment. Only time and ISO can be adjusted; i.e. the aperture is always the same and fixed on each and every single lens.
On the Pixel 7 Pro it's f/2.2 on the ultra-wide, f/1.85 on the "Normal" (wide) and f/3.5 on the tele lens.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

There is no aperture adjustment. Only time and ISO can be adjusted; i.e. the aperture is always the same and fixed on each and every single lens.
On the Pixel 7 Pro it's f/2.2 on the ultra-wide, f/1.85 on the "Normal" (wide) and f/3.5 on the tele lens.

There is no diaphragm to adjust aperture!

For comparison, corresponding Samsung Galaxy S22 plus cameras apertures are f/2.2, f/1.8, and f/2.4.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly the Huawei P30 Pro camera does have an aperture setting.

I suspect it's emulated but it does seem to work pretty well for changing DoF.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vintage_Photographer wrote:
Interestingly the Huawei P30 Pro camera does have an aperture setting.

I suspect it's emulated but it does seem to work pretty well for changing DoF.

Huawei indicates "apeture setting" does selective blurring. Edit: more accurately, selective anti-blurring. Where on the image is tapped the focus will be, the rest of the image will be blurred for simulation of aperture dof effects.

https://consumer.huawei.com/en/support/content/en-us15881182/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took this rather generic photo (2 frames stitched) of rural China on a Xiaomi Mi 11 ultra flagship phone which is a few generations back now. The photo is good quality, as expected. What did surprise me is that the camera detected a mosquito in the top left corner, not far from the camera, focused on it and layered this into the photo in reasonable focus.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting! I think the algorithm also uses selective sharpening. Just guessing here.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://thesmartphonephotographer.com/how-smartphone-cameras-focus/

Could be intelligent multi-shot burst focusing and layering. The would produce far better results than only selective sharpening/blurring. Combining both could be...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2024 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick grab shot with my Pixel 8 Pro.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2024 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2024 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still using Redmi Note 10 pro. Out of curiosity I took the same scene with the phone's main camera and with Minolta MD 2.8/35 put on Sony Nex. I was interested to see the DR of both. Both are SOOC jpeg, resized.