Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Smallest, cheap, telephoto?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second version of the Minolta MD 200/4 (64x117mm, 400g) might also fit:

I don't know how it performs compared to heavier first version (65x131mm, 520g), though:

Source for the pictures: http://home.kpn.nl/dielpeet/minolta/minolta-other-lenses.htm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for compliments on my duck photo!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!
Lots of suggestion and beautiful pics Oldhand!

I'll see what I can find in Tokyo, I'm sure there must be some good deal over there.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgustav wrote:
Thank you all!

I was expecting ideas and it seems there are several options indeed, good budget, good lenses Smile
I was checking on eBay and then I realized something very simple: as usual, most copies are from Japan and guess what? My trip is to Japan!
So, at this point I could just stop by some local shops in Tokyo and buy something over there.
I guess there must be plenty of choices.
Did you guys have had any experience buying used gears in Japan?

I live in Yokohama (part of the greater Tokyo area) and there are a lot of options!!! And you can find crazy bargains.
So for a 200mm F4 Olympus/Rokkor/Canon FD or Tokina 70-210mm, there's plenty out there.

There's probably 3 ways to go about it.
1. Go to the cheap disposal shops around Akihabara(Electric Town). You can get second hand lenses for around $10-#15 USD equivalent. You need to check these lenses carefully.
2. The moderate shops that have lenses with some defects, some just cosmetic, some fungus, or mechanical. Check carefully. You'll pay around $25-$35 for those.
3. Go to high end shops that guarantee very good quality, and you'll pay around $40-$70 USD for those lenses. No need to check carefully.

If you're interested, I can post up names and locations.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dnas wrote:

I live in Yokohama (part of the greater Tokyo area) and there are a lot of options!!! And you can find crazy bargains.
So for a 200mm F4 Olympus/Rokkor/Canon FD or Tokina 70-210mm, there's plenty out there.

1. Go to the cheap disposal shops around Akihabara(Electric Town). You can get second hand lenses for around $10-#15 USD equivalent. You need to check these lenses carefully.
2. The moderate shops that have lenses with some defects, some just cosmetic, some fungus, or mechanical. Check carefully. You'll pay around $25-$35 for those.
3. Go to high end shops that guarantee very good quality, and you'll pay around $40-$70 USD for those lenses. No need to check carefully.

That's great!
Yes, please, if you can post names and locations would be really helpful.

I'm going to stay in Ginza, but I guess any area will do since I hear transportation is really good.

This is what I've found so far:
Lemon Sha (Lemon Camera?) in Ginza
Yodobashi Camera in Shinjuku
Map Camera in Shinjuku

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris_Akunin wrote:
The second version of the Minolta MD 200/4 (64x117mm, 400g) might also fit:

I don't know how it performs compared to heavier first version (65x131mm, 520g), though:

Many of the classical MF 4/200mm lenses from the late 1970ies share the same [5/5] design*, a positive triplet in the front group and a negative 2-lens group near the lens mount. Most of these lenses perform nearly identical on 24 MP FF, among them the

Canon FD 4/200mm SSC
Canon new FD 4/200mm IF
Mamiya Sekor E 4/200mm*
Minolta MC/MD 4/200mm (first version, 520g)*
Minolta MD 4/200mm (later 400g version)*
Konica Hexanon 4/200mm*
Nikon Nikkor Ai 4/200mm*
Pentax Takumar M 4/200mm*

Two of the lenses mentioned above are somewhat special:

1) The first, heavy version of the Minolta MC/MD 4/200mm has an excellent detail resolution even in the corners and wide open; it outperforms all other lenses on the list given above

2) The Canon new FD 4/200mm has internal focusing (IF); focusing is very smooth and fast, and it goes down to 1.5m (the others usually to 2.5m or 2m)

In other words: The later, small MD 4/200mm performs as good as all the others on my list, but it is inferior to the early, heavy MC/MD 4/200mm.

Stephan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgustav wrote:
dnas wrote:

That's great!
Yes, please, if you can post names and locations would be really helpful.

I'm going to stay in Ginza, but I guess any area will do since I hear transportation is really good.

This is what I've found so far:
Lemon Sha (Lemon Camera?) in Ginza
Yodobashi Camera in Shinjuku
Map Camera in Shinjuku

Sorry for the delay.....

Firstly, try this guide:

http://www.japancamerahunter.com/2013/05/the-complete-tokyo-camera-shopping-guide/

However, this guide is a bit out of date. Some shops have closed, while some of them are just not mentioned, nor on the map.

Also, Fujiya Camera at Nakano, it says it's declined in recent years, with digitial cameras on the ground floor, and film cameras upstairs. Well, it's Digital cameras & lenses on both floors, but pretty much ONLY DSLRs and mirrorless. A good selection of well priced, guaranteed second hand gear. And cheaper than Map Camera at Shinjuku. Also, there is the tiny Fujiya junk shop just across the lane, and THIS is where you can find the bargains.... but check carefully. I saw the Minolta MD 400mm F5.6 APO in there the other day.

As well as that, at Akihabara, there's only two shops marked but there's a lot more than that there. I see if I can post a little more about that later.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the Fujinon EBC 200mm? It's small enough and cheap enough but I've got no results for it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's the fringing on the Oly? There's nothing more obnoxious than an old, slow tele that fringes.